Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 4:40 AM   
 By:   moviescore   (Member)

MovieScore Media presents

CONQUEST 1453
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed and Conducted by
BENJAMIN WALLFISCH

Sound clips and more info:
http://www.moviescoremedia.com/conquest1453.html

Order CD here (1st edition limited to 1000 copies):
http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/17533/

Download on iTunes:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/conquest-1453-fetih-1453-original/id510923382

Conquest 1453 is the most succesful film ever in Turkey and the film is currently the second most popular 2012 film on the Internet Movie Database with only Underworld: Awakening receiving more votes! The exciting story of the siege of Constantinople in 1453 is a Turkish national epic, and Faruk Aksoy's film makes this piece of history accessible using a spectacular Hollywood-inspired cinematic style and a first-rate international orchestral score by Benjamin Wallfisch.

MovieScore Media has released two scores before by the talented British composer/conductor (Dear Wendy and The Escapist), but there is no doubt Conquest 1453 is the most epic and action-packed we've done with him.

Wallfisch's music is as always rich in colour and counterpoint, employing several strong themes and a rich pallette where the orchestra forms the backbone and inventive electronic programming adds a contemporary feel to the score. If you are a fan of big, bold and exciting movie music in the action/adventure genre, this one is definitely for you!

First edition of the CD is limited to 1000 copies.

Track titles and samples:
1 Mehmet’s Theme 2.46 - http://www.screenarchives.com/media/17533-13171.mp3
2 Duel 3.35 - http://www.screenarchives.com/media/17533-13172.mp3
3 The Prophecy 2.22
4 The Promise 1.57
5 Basilica 1.45
6 The Resistance 1.50
7 Harbour 0.49
8 Nightmare 1.34
9 Journey 2.03
10 Destiny 4.03
11 Diplomacy Fails 1.55
12 Arrows of Fire 3.55 - http://www.screenarchives.com/media/17533-13173.mp3
13 Era and Hassan 2.01
14 Hippodrome 2.13
15 Halil Summoned 3.32
16 Easter 2.03
17 War Drums 1.51
18 Attack 1.49 - http://www.screenarchives.com/media/17533-13174.mp3
19 Mehmet Contemplates 1.20
20 Era's Transformation 0.53
21 Factory 1.47
22 Mehmet's War 2.17
23 Aftermath 1.09
24 Tunnel 2.42
25 Isolation 2.17
26 The Stone of Eyüp 3.46
27 Pulling the Ships 2.10
28 Leader of Men 1.35
29 Goodbye 1.29
30 End Game 3.41
31 My Life for My Flag 2.20 - http://www.screenarchives.com/media/17533-13175.mp3
32 A Child of Istanbul 3.00

MMS12003 CONQUEST 1453 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Music Composed and Conducted by BENJAMIN WALLFISCH
Release date: March 20, 2012 (online)
Release date: April 3, 2012 (CD)

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 5:48 AM   
 By:   goldsmith-rulez   (Member)

Conquest 1453 is the most succesful film ever in Turkey and the film is currently the second most popular 2012 film on the Internet Movie Database with only Underworld: Awakening receiving more votes!

Yay. Isn't contemporary commercial cinema great... wink

Judging from the samples, this has Remote Control written all over it. Banal themes, simplistic orchestration, frankly painfully predictable progression/development.

Again, judging from the samples only.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 6:09 AM   
 By:   steffm41   (Member)

.... not to mention uncomfortably derivative of another Conquest, this one in 1492, of a certain Paradise.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 6:11 AM   
 By:   Senojanaidni   (Member)

Sounds to much Rcp for me alas.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 6:32 AM   
 By:   Traveling Matt   (Member)

Has there before been a limit to a new film's score CD?

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 11:00 AM   
 By:   betenoir   (Member)

To the comments above, bah, humbug. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's all a subjective matter of anyone's individual taste, but I find this much more interesting than many of the duller efforts from some of our better-known great composers.

I don't find all of MSM's releases of interest to me, but I have quite a few, and most of those are excellent. I think MSM is a great small label, and I'm thankful that they are releasing film scores we would never otherwise be able to get. There is a lot of very good music written for films that never appear in the US, unless maybe for short runs at art houses in NYC or LA, and most of the music never sees the light of day in the US either.

MSM has had a few sellouts, but only a few. I think if some of MSM's releases had the name Goldsmith, or Williams, or others credited as composers (for the very same music), they would have sold out rapidly, but I think too many of us are unwilling to listen to works by composers we have not heard of and made stars of (yet).

Kudos to MovieScoreMedia! Keep up the good work.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 11:40 AM   
 By:   John B. Archibald   (Member)

I applaud MSM for releasing it.

I listened to the samples, prepared to enjoy it, and I listened to them a few times over. I sort of like it, and would be more interested in seeing the film, since it's the Turkish take on the Fall of Constantinople, ending the Eastern Roman Empire, which, many say, stimulated the Renaissance in Italy, when multiple refugees emigrated there, along with Classical knowledge.

Apparently, the film is a big hit in Turkey. But I personally find the score too derivative. Maybe if there weren't so many other releases on my plate right now, I'd be more amenable to buying it.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 12:39 PM   

To the comments above, bah, humbug. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's all a subjective matter of anyone's individual taste, but I find this much more interesting than many of the duller efforts from some of our better-known great composers.

Sigh. The earth is flat, at least to some. Why is it that simplistic music appeals to simpletons? Rhetorical question.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 1:03 PM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

It's a shame he's had to write this score to accommodate the modern 'programmed' sound.
I've listened to his classical works and he's as assured as Goldenthal and Corigliano in that idiom.
There were modern traces in his ESCAPIST score, but that was allied to a more contemporary prison breakout film, so seemed quite suited to it.
I'm not saying all historical epics need to have a symphonic-only approach, but writing in the key of R/C is getting a bit tired now.
I haven't listened to the samples yet, but due to my liking of his previous efforts (ESCAPE VELOCITY, DEAR WENDY, ESCAPIST) I'm likely to add it to a future order.
I agree that MSM releases are, for the most part, a treat for fans who like something a little different.
Long may they continue.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 1:43 PM   

Sigh. The earth is flat, at least to some. Why is it that simplistic music appeals to simpletons? Rhetorical question.

Why do some simpletons refuse to acknowledge that anyone who doesn't share their personal tastes, or who expresses an opinion different from theirs, may have a different but equally valid opinion? Also a rhetorical question.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 1:50 PM   
 By:   Zoragoth   (Member)

I applaud MSM for releasing it.

I listened to the samples, prepared to enjoy it, and I listened to them a few times over. I sort of like it, and would be more interested in seeing the film, since it's the Turkish take on the Fall of Constantinople, ending the Eastern Roman Empire, which, many say, stimulated the Renaissance in Italy, when multiple refugees emigrated there, along with Classical knowledge.

Over 500 hundred years ago, and I still haven't gotten over it! ;-) What a loss, though it has been observed that there were more Greeks living in Constantinople after the conquest than before, as the Sultan settled many of his Greek subjects there in the city....

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 5:08 PM   
 By:   Cricket853   (Member)

I own many MSM releases and find most of them outstanding. I have ordered this one. Kudos to MSM for acquainting me with composers I would normally never hear of. I tire of Goldsmith, Williams, Zimmer, etc. I am looking for something new in my listening pleasures, and MSM gives me that. Filmscore music today is alive and well except for those who hear but do not listen.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 5:34 PM   

. . . Filmscore music today is alive and well except for those who hear but do not listen.

Well said!

Posted:   Mar 21, 2012 - 8:20 AM   

I own many MSM releases and find most of them outstanding. I have ordered this one. Kudos to MSM for acquainting me with composers I would normally never hear of. I tire of Goldsmith, Williams, Zimmer, etc. I am looking for something new in my listening pleasures, and MSM gives me that. Filmscore music today is alive and well except for those who hear but do not listen.

Well, a lot of people think otherwise. Usually the ones who have even the faintest notion of film music history and all that film music can be. Th samples offered of this score here are just banal, simplistic, quite frankly - dumbed down orchestral music. If that's enough for the RCP crowd, fine. It isn't enough for me.

And bluntly stating that this record company, that they're oh so great. Frankly I don't care. THIS score isn't, or doesn't appear to be from the samples on offer. That's all that I said, and that's what I'll maintain.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2012 - 11:03 AM   
 By:   Uhtred   (Member)

I'd rather be a simpleton than be so rude and arrogant.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2012 - 1:10 PM   

Good choice. You'll live blissfully ever after.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2012 - 3:34 AM   
 By:   moviescore   (Member)

It's a shame that some of you guys disqualify this score based on the samples only. It's a 70 minute album with a lot of amazing music. It is second to NONE of the big blockbuster Hollywood action scores I am sure you would buy in your sleep as long as it has a big name on it.

Yes, the approach is reminiscent to that of the big Hollywood films scored by Zimmer et al, but Wallfisch's compositional style is so complex and interesting.

I am beginning to understand Ford Thaxton when I say that the arrogant individual who claims that this score has "banal themes, simplistic orchestration, frankly painfully predictable progression/development" doesn't know what he's talking about. How can you speak about progression and development based on samples only???

I don't think there is a label who struggles more for survival than MovieScore Media. The competition has become very tough. Most soundtrack fans seem to prefer to spend their hard earned money on a fifth version of a score they already own rather than trying something new and fresh.

So forgive me if negative comments based on ignorance is p***ing me off a little bit.

mc

Posted:   Mar 23, 2012 - 3:57 AM   
 By:   RED SHIRT BASIL (or looks like...)   (Member)

It's a shame that some of you guys disqualify this score based on the samples only. It's a 70 minute album with a lot of amazing music. It is second to NONE of the big blockbuster Hollywood action scores I am sure you would buy in your sleep as long as it has a big name on it.

Yes, the approach is reminiscent to that of the big Hollywood films scored by Zimmer et al, but Wallfisch's compositional style is so complex and interesting.

I am beginning to understand Ford Thaxton when I say that the arrogant individual who claims that this score has "banal themes, simplistic orchestration, frankly painfully predictable progression/development" doesn't know what he's talking about. How can you speak about progression and development based on samples only???

I don't think there is a label who struggles more for survival than MovieScore Media. The competition has become very tough. Most soundtrack fans seem to prefer to spend their hard earned money on a fifth version of a score they already own rather than trying something new and fresh.

So forgive me if negative comments based on ignorance is p***ing me off a little bit.

mc

Well said!!

Posted:   Mar 23, 2012 - 4:42 AM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

Eh, goldsmith-rulez is this obnoxious and antagonistic regarding most contemporary composers, so he's probably at least honest enough not to be buying the other big blockbuster scores anyway. smile

Anyway, I've only listened to this score once so far, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I know some here have said that it sounds "too RCP" but I must admit that I'm losing sight of what that means because, while that may be the case or not, it doesn't sound anything like the work of any of the composers actually at RCP.

Posted:   Mar 24, 2012 - 3:52 PM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

Thanks for the positive comments mastadge.
I agree, the line is becoming blurred regarding the 'programmed or droned-in' scores a lot of people don't like and THAT sound being appropriated by composers with actual writing talent and innovation.
I too was getting very bored by the same rhythms and devices being employed, but found much to enjoy in Doyle's RISE OF THE APES and THOR scores.
One could argue Horner's AVATAR also took that route but triumphed with some real orchestrational work and invention going on.
I think someone like John Powell has also helped take that 'limited' sound world and really run with it.
As I commented above, I will buy this score based on how good previous Wallfisch CD's have sounded to me and the fact this sound can be expanded upon, in the right hands.