Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 23, 2019 - 2:11 PM   
 By:   Mark   (Member)

Zardoz's piece is certainly by an Italian composer, and i feel sure i have it in my collection, but i cant remember what it is.

Am very interested to know what Haineshisway's piece from 23 June is as I really like it. Cant put my finger on nationality

Posted:   Jun 23, 2019 - 2:36 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Sounds to me like Michel Legrand.
A couple of passages sounded similar to castle keep and thomas crown.

Not Legrand. One of the things I love about doing this is you can see how much of film music colors comes from classical works. This one is a classical work and the composer is not American nor French. It was a choice between this piece and one other that was very film music-like.

Posted:   Jun 23, 2019 - 3:10 PM   
 By:   dtw   (Member)

Is it a classical composer who also did/does film work? Feels like perhaps Gerard Schurmann to me?

EDIT: dunno why I'm throwing guesses around - I'm not nearly knowledgeable to have a hope in hell ... but it feels nice to join in and pretend I have a rounded musical awareness! :-P

Posted:   Jun 23, 2019 - 3:51 PM   

Is it a classical composer who also did/does film work? Feels like perhaps Gerard Schurmann to me?

EDIT: dunno why I'm throwing guesses around - I'm not nearly knowledgeable to have a hope in hell ... but it feels nice to join in and pretend I have a rounded musical awareness! :-P

This composer did write for film, but I believe his output was all for documentaries. But he wasn't known for that.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2019 - 7:03 AM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Could it be Alexander Mosolov?

Don't even know who that is. It's actually a composer with a singular popular piece of music who is also has in name in an EXTREMELY popular piece of music. But he wrote a lot of great other music too.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2019 - 2:35 PM   
 By:   Mark   (Member)

Terrapon's piece is Ferde Grofe. Know Zardoz's piece but cannot remember it and its driving me up the wall. Havent got a clue on Haineshis way's track

Posted:   Jun 24, 2019 - 2:44 PM   

Clew - Russian.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2019 - 4:14 PM   
 By:   ZardozSpeaks   (Member)

Zardoz's piece is certainly by an Italian composer, and i feel sure i have it in my collection, but i cant remember what it is.

Yes, an Italian composer ... think about one of the 'older' Italians (as BillCarson would phrase it. smile )

Posted:   Jun 24, 2019 - 4:17 PM   

Know Zardoz's piece but cannot remember it and its driving me up the wall.

That the recording is in stereo should limit the candidates. There isn't a surfeit of stereo Italian soundtracks from the early 1960s.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2019 - 4:19 PM   

Clew - Russian.

Alfred Schnittke?

Posted:   Jun 24, 2019 - 4:31 PM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

Terrapon's piece is Ferde Grofe.

What was the music itself?

Posted:   Jun 24, 2019 - 5:13 PM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Yes, an Italian composer ... think about one of the 'older' Italians (as BillCarson would phrase it. smile )

That normally means Angelo or one of the Carlo's?
And it sounds like a fantasy sword n sandal job.?

Posted:   Jun 24, 2019 - 5:22 PM   

Not either of the Carlos.
Not A.F. Lavagnino, either.

But - yes - it's from one of the volumes of peplum soundtracks.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2019 - 5:54 PM   

Clew - Russian.

Alfred Schnittke?

Not Schnittke but perhaps in the Russian ballpark.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2019 - 9:04 PM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

Rodion Shchedrin?

Posted:   Jun 24, 2019 - 9:49 PM   

Rodion Shchedrin?

A bit more traditional than Schedrin, who I enjoy very much. Our composer did a series of documentaries for CBS.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2019 - 12:45 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Not either of the Carlos.
Not A.F. Lavagnino, either.

But - yes - it's from one of the volumes of peplum soundtracks.

Doesnt sound very Mario. Is it Roberto?

Posted:   Jun 25, 2019 - 5:49 AM   

Doesnt sound very Mario. Is it Roberto?

Neither Nascimbene nor Nicolosi.
(lots of "N"s there smile )

Posted:   Jun 25, 2019 - 6:01 AM   

Rodion Shchedrin?

A bit more traditional than Schedrin, who I enjoy very much. Our composer did a series of documentaries for CBS.

Hhmmm ... doesn't seem likely that a Soviet composer would provide music for American television documentaries ... so I'll go out on a limb here and hazard a guess on Igor Stravinsky.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2019 - 6:40 AM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Terrapon's piece is Ferde Grofe.

What was the music itself?

Specifically the final movement of Niagra Falls Suite. Grofe wrote quite a bunch of suites being Grand Canyon....sadly a lot of them either old LP only or never recorded. But there's six available over two great Naxos CDs conducted by none other than William Stromberg.