Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 7, 2019 - 6:17 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Back in the 60's I think the Aurora monster model kits sold in the millions.

What do old Aurora kits sell for now? If they're anything like those also-sold-in-the-millions Star Wars dolls action figures, their prices must be through the roof. Even "loose" (uncarded) action figures in rotten condition go for a small bundle o' dough these days.

Originals in shrink wrap or model kits never re-released can go for good bucks. But most Aurora model kits have been re-released on and off over the last 40 years so values has gone way down. Heck just this year a company is re-releasing Aurora's Land of the Giants and Lost In Space model kits.

Posted:   Nov 7, 2019 - 6:26 PM   
 By:   'Lenny Bruce' Marshall   (Member)

Back in the 60's I think the Aurora monster model kits sold in the millions.

What do old Aurora kits sell for now? If they're anything like those also-sold-in-the-millions Star Wars dolls action figures, their prices must be through the roof. Even "loose" (uncarded) action figures in rotten condition go for a small bundle o' dough these days.

Originals in shrink wrap or model kits never re-released can go for good bucks. But most Aurora model kits have been re-released on and off over the last 40 years so values has gone way down.

Heck just this year a company is re-releasing Aurora's Land of the Giants and Lost In Space model kits.

But. Are they....complete?

Posted:   Nov 8, 2019 - 7:08 AM   

But. Are they....complete?

More than complete. They're expanded with bonus material!

Posted:   Nov 8, 2019 - 8:33 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Well there's lots of stuff I have to do without nowadays and not just toys and soundtracks.
But your probably right regarding this stuff.

Based on the above I'm guessing you plunked down for them anyway.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2019 - 10:10 AM   
 By:   Sean Nethery   (Member)

In today's chapter of "Sean's Confessions"....

I bought a few relatively expensive collectibles years ago (always under $100). Mostly marvel busts, including this lovely, The Watcher:

And then I went all out, saved up, and bought this for something like $175 - Adam Warlock in the Infinity Watch years:

After which, I said, "What the hell am I doing? I've got this freaking huge statue that, frankly, just lives in the basement now and will eventually be donated or probably more likely trashed. Um, that was a fun but ultimately ridiculous purchase."

These days, I get the urge 3-4 times a year, and am often satisfied with $20 Eaglemoss Star Trek ships (which by the way includes the Pasteur). I bought this one early this year, I think - Romulan Scout Ship.

Makes me just as happy, maybe more so, very cute sitting near my tea mug here in my office.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2019 - 12:44 AM   
 By:   Lewis&Clark   (Member)

The big Kaiyodo soft vinyl Shin-Godzilla is the most expensive "toy" in my Godzilla collection: It's molded from the actual maquette used to model the CGI Godzilla for the movie. It did cost me nearly a grand without shipping/custom tax...

(which is cheap when compared to the resin replica maquette which did cost 10 grand...)

Posted:   Nov 16, 2019 - 5:06 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I sometimes wish I'd kept my Beatles memorabilia, Godzilla board game, etc.

My question - and maybe this really belongs on the Stupid Questions thread:

Are today's toys "tomorrow's" (40 - 50 years from now?) collectibles?

Yes but incredibly less so.

Remember in the 90s when people like Jim Kraemer were saying “Buy the Death Of Superman! Keep it in its bag! You’ll put your kid through college with it!” and now it’s worth about $15?

Markets for collectibles are dictated by 1.) availability and 2.) rarity.

It’s also a matter of hitting the market right. Beanie Babies ain’t worth a damn now, but 1998, some of them were selling for hundreds of dollars.

I don’t see much of this happening for stuff made since 1990. Video games a bit, but aside from some actually rare stuff (only made 10 of one game!) it’s mostly a walled garden

Posted:   Nov 16, 2019 - 7:47 AM   

I sometimes wish I'd kept my Beatles memorabilia, Godzilla board game, etc.
My question - and maybe this really belongs on the Stupid Questions thread:
Are today's toys "tomorrow's" (40 - 50 years from now?) collectibles?

Yes and no. Companies started over producing product from around the 80's on when the collectible craze hit an all time high. So ppl ran out and purchased multiple copies of things thinking they could sell them in 50 years for big bucks.

The problem with this is what makes something valuable is its scarcity and demand. By over producing product its no longer hard to find these items.

However with the start of the internet and Ebay third party sellers have been artificially inflating the prices on product that go out of production. So if you miss out on a toy or CD one year and it goes OOP the next it goes for "big bucks". But not because its scarce or really in high demand.

So at the end of the day this stuff may seem valuable but very few are willing to pay the high prices for these over priced goods.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2019 - 9:06 AM   

The Solium Illumination
smile

Posted:   Nov 16, 2019 - 9:07 AM   

I wanted to buy a GODZILLA 2014 but apparently Toho never licensed it.
frown

Posted:   Nov 16, 2019 - 9:08 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

These days, I get the urge 3-4 times a year, and am often satisfied with $20 Eaglemoss Star Trek ships (which by the way includes the Pasteur). I bought this one early this year, I think - Romulan Scout Ship.

Makes me just as happy, maybe more so, very cute sitting near my tea mug here in my office.

And when the wife/girlfriend gives a funny look about the toys, just remind her you've counted how many shoes/purses she owns. And the final tally is un-natural.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2019 - 9:21 AM   

And when the wife/girlfriend gives a funny look about the toys, just remind her you've counted how many shoes/purses she owns. And the final tally is un-natural.

Be careful, a certain few on here will deem that a misogynist and sexist comment! Banning is in your future.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2019 - 9:34 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

solium:
Be careful, a certain few on here will deem that a misogynist and sexist comment! Banning is in your future.

0:40 in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAeFJX15H98

Posted:   Nov 16, 2019 - 9:37 AM   

LOL!

Posted:   Nov 16, 2019 - 11:14 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

The big Kaiyodo soft vinyl Shin-Godzilla is the most expensive "toy" in my Godzilla collection: It's molded from the actual maquette used to model the CGI Godzilla for the movie. It did cost me nearly a grand without shipping/custom tax...
(which is cheap when compared to the resin replica maquette which did cost 10 grand...)

All things considered, Shin-Goji was a great design.
Truly nightmarish.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2019 - 12:29 PM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

The problem with this is what makes something valuable is its scarcity and demand.

You just answered your own question. Supply and demand, baby!

Posted:   Nov 16, 2019 - 1:45 PM   
 By:   DJS   (Member)

Well there's lots of stuff I have to do without nowadays and not just toys and soundtracks.

Funny, you get this crap and it sits on your shelf collecting dust and you either get immediate buyers remorse or after a few weeks you realize you paid hard earned cash for multi-colored plastic crap from China that's utterly worthless and impractical. You can't even burn it and cook a hotdog over it. Stare at the picture long enough. You'll realize how glad you are you didn't waste your money on it. big grin

Posted:   Nov 17, 2019 - 12:39 AM   

I wanted to buy a GODZILLA 2014 but apparently Toho never licensed it.
frown

There were plenty of 2014 Godzillas: Neca released small ones and a big one for reasonable prices (still available). X-Plus released "Garegoji" in there 30cm line which also got released and re-released through Diamond Toys (USA).

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/43092 (available)

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/44133 (sold out)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toho-30-Series-Godzilla-2014-Limited-Edition-Ver/293334751548?hash=item444c1d193c:g:bv8AAOSwfjtd0ISF

Posted:   Nov 17, 2019 - 5:39 AM   

I'm looking forward to the release of THIS beauty:

X-Plus Gigantic Series Godzilla 2019

Posted:   Nov 17, 2019 - 7:42 AM   

Funny, you get this crap and it sits on your shelf collecting dust and you either get immediate buyers remorse or after a few weeks you realize you paid hard earned cash for multi-colored plastic crap from China that's utterly worthless and impractical. You can't even burn it and cook a hotdog over it. Stare at the picture long enough. You'll realize how glad you are you didn't waste your money on it. big grin

Even when I had the extra cash I was selective in what I purchased. So I don't think I'd be a hoarder of chunks of plastic. But there's some truth in what you say. If I had unlimited income I would desire many of the expensive figures from Star Wars and LOTRs. Hell I would go further as I would love a full size replica of Robby the Robot and B9! But yeah, I think wanting something and actually purchasing it is more exciting than actually owning it. After awhile it sits on the shelf collecting dust and you no longer feel fulfilled and you want to buy the next cool thing that comes out.

There are exceptions, I love my soundtrack collection and wouldn't give it up for the world. Its something that brings me entertainment everyday. And owning physical copies and seeing a whole shelf full of discs brings me a lot of comfort and satisfaction.