Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 22, 2007 - 2:31 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

...and after having listened to it a few times, it´s impossible to remove from the CD player!! Not only because of the "hit material" title theme (which - as I said above - is a bit cheesy), but because it´s so varied, melodic and funky THROUGHOUT! This is Jarre in top form and working in his classic idiom that we saw last in METAMORPHOSES several years ago, and that I´ve been missing (despite that I also respect his desire to experiment more these last few years).

Posted:   Aug 22, 2007 - 4:53 AM   
 By:   Alexcremers   (Member)

Jean Michel Jarre is really uncool, guys. What's next? Yanni?

Posted:   Aug 22, 2007 - 5:28 AM   

Ehm....I don´t really see the connection there, sorry (except that both work with synthesizers).

Posted:   Aug 22, 2007 - 10:43 AM   
 By:   Damian   (Member)

I'd rather listen to his ol'man.

And so would I big grin

Posted:   Aug 22, 2007 - 11:55 AM   
 By:   MWRuger   (Member)

Dude, you are posting a Film Score board! You don't get much more un"cool" than that!

Posted:   Aug 22, 2007 - 12:13 PM   
 By:   MWRuger   (Member)

Dude, you are posting a Film Score board! You don't get much more un"cool" than that!

Posted:   Feb 15, 2008 - 2:26 PM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

Hey Thor, are you going to the Jarre concert in Oslo April 12?

Posted:   Feb 16, 2008 - 7:05 AM   

Hey Thor, are you going to the Jarre concert in Oslo April 12?

I REALLY, REALLY want to, but the ticket price is a whooping 845 NOK!! (appr. $152), so I can't afford it.

It would have been awesome to see him perform the classic OXYGENE album in a more "intimate" setting than the Spektrum concert I attended more than 10 years ago (My God, has it really been that long?).

Posted:   Feb 16, 2008 - 11:25 AM   

Are you going, FirstBreath?

Posted:   Feb 17, 2008 - 9:52 AM   
 By:   vinylscrubber   (Member)

MWRuger, Your post is a terrific, perfect "Hurly" profundity!

Posted:   Feb 19, 2008 - 6:20 AM   

Are you going, FirstBreath?

I would have loved to, but like you, I find the price rather ridiculous for a 75 minute concert. And having to drive from Kristiansand, plus having to pay for a hotel of some sort, probably makes it too expensive.

Posted:   Jan 31, 2009 - 6:45 AM   

I've been looking everywhere for a clip of the film DES GARCONS ET DES FILLES (1967), which features Jean Michel Jarre in a very early public performance. He plays guitar and sings in the band The Dustbins, which performs in a party scene in this film. And lo and behold, due to the magic of youtube, someone has put out a clip (albeit in shoddy quality) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEtMf1-PUQY

Jarre pops up throughout the clip. That's him at 0:15. He, he.... smile

By the way, I'm going to the Jarre concert here in Oslo in May. Are you going, FB? It's not as expensive as the last concert in Oslo Konserthus.

Posted:   Jan 31, 2009 - 8:50 AM   
 By:   Charles Thaxton   (Member)

As a keybordist/synthesist myself since 1970...I can state that I list Jarre among my favorites and an early inspiration. Have you all seen the latest OXYGENE LIVE IN YOUR LIVING ROOM CD/DVD where Jean Michel re-creates OXYGENE live in it's entirety on original vintage equipment with some other guys backing him up, fimed in 3D no less for the DVD half? Jean Michel also is wearing his old outfit from the 70s and looks like he hasn't aged...must be what travelling at light speed does to you.smile
I consider myself a new age/"space" musician and you guys talking about pop/electronica as if that's the only venue where synths and good players reside is way off base. A lot of people "snicker" at new age music ( I get really tired of new age music getting such a bad rap or even being ignored as if it will go away) but there's some really talented, hot players in those bins...Mars Lasar, Kitaro, Patrick O'Hearn, David Arkenstone, Exchange, Yanni (YES!! Yanni..he's a great keyboardist and writer and his earlier stuff really shows off his abilities),the late Richard Burmer, Amin Bhatia, Tomita, Gandalf, on and on and on. The majority of the public seems unaware this music even exists. Music which elevates consciousness and supports a peaceful healing environment. And what's wrong with THAT? We know that music can drive crowds into a frenzy (heavy metal, punk)...why not use music to spread peaceful energies? Many of these composers are like modern classical.

Posted:   Jan 31, 2009 - 1:21 PM   
 By:   DJS   (Member)

Lol...nice....I was going to say...but I would bet anything that you'd find a lot more hot women at a Jarre concert...than at a John Williams concert lol! Well, younger women anyway.

Posted:   Jan 31, 2009 - 3:17 PM   
 By:   Jehannum   (Member)

No, I hate his music almost as much as I hate his father's.

Posted:   Feb 1, 2009 - 10:21 AM   

I've been looking everywhere for a clip of the film DES GARCONS ET DES FILLES (1967), which features Jean Michel Jarre in a very early public performance. He plays guitar and sings in the band The Dustbins, which performs in a party scene in this film. And lo and behold, due to the magic of youtube, someone has put out a clip (albeit in shoddy quality) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEtMf1-PUQY

Jarre pops up throughout the clip. That's him at 0:15. He, he.... smile

By the way, I'm going to the Jarre concert here in Oslo in May. Are you going, FB? It's not as expensive as the last concert in Oslo Konserthus.

YES, I'm going!

Will finally see him live. Really looking forward to it.

Posted:   Feb 1, 2009 - 10:27 AM   

As a keybordist/synthesist myself since 1970...I can state that I list Jarre among my favorites and an early inspiration. Have you all seen the latest OXYGENE LIVE IN YOUR LIVING ROOM CD/DVD where Jean Michel re-creates OXYGENE live in it's entirety on original vintage equipment with some other guys backing him up, fimed in 3D no less for the DVD half? Jean Michel also is wearing his old outfit from the 70s and looks like he hasn't aged...must be what travelling at light speed does to you.smile
I consider myself a new age/"space" musician and you guys talking about pop/electronica as if that's the only venue where synths and good players reside is way off base. A lot of people "snicker" at new age music ( I get really tired of new age music getting such a bad rap or even being ignored as if it will go away) but there's some really talented, hot players in those bins...Mars Lasar, Kitaro, Patrick O'Hearn, David Arkenstone, Exchange, Yanni (YES!! Yanni..he's a great keyboardist and writer and his earlier stuff really shows off his abilities),the late Richard Burmer, Amin Bhatia, Tomita, Gandalf, on and on and on. The majority of the public seems unaware this music even exists. Music which elevates consciousness and supports a peaceful healing environment. And what's wrong with THAT? We know that music can drive crowds into a frenzy (heavy metal, punk)...why not use music to spread peaceful energies? Many of these composers are like modern classical.

Yes, I have got that Living Room DVD. Nice stuff indeed.

About those other artists, I like O'Hearn, Arkenstone, Exchange and Yanni. Haven't heard too much from those other guys.

You are using some standard new age phrases there that I'm not too fond of, like "elevates consciousness", "peaceful healing environment" ans "peaceful energies" though. I don't know what you're talking about. For me it's just nice relaxing music. :-D

Posted:   Feb 1, 2009 - 12:56 PM   
 By:   Charles Thaxton   (Member)

"Elevates cosciousness" = lifts the spirit/puts you in a good peaceful mood

"Peaceful healing environment" = music that promotes relaxation and de-stressing (seems easy enough)

"peaceful energies" as opposed to gangster rap or Johnny Rotten-what's "new age" about that?? LOL wink

Posted:   Feb 2, 2009 - 1:17 PM   

Why don't you just write that, then? ;-)

Posted:   Feb 27, 2010 - 5:48 AM   

So I've just ordered tickets for Jean Michel Jarre's new 2010 tour in Budapest, Hungary, May 24!!

First Rammstein here in Oslo last week, then Morricone in Royal Albert Hall in April, and then Jarre in Budapest in May. What a concert year this is turning out to be! smile