Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 2:31 PM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

That's okay. I have my hard cover edition of Animal Farm right here.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 3:46 PM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

That's okay. I have my hard cover edition of Animal Farm right here.

That's George Orwell, not Dr. Seuss.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 4:18 PM   
 By:   zooba   (Member)

Will THE GRINCH now be called HOW THE GRINCH HIJACKED THE HOLIDAY SEASON?

Were other races, minorities or diverse ethnic backgrounds represented in Whoville?

CANCEL THE GRINCH!

Preposterous.

Hey the little guy on the end at left could be Filipino.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 4:28 PM   

Will THE GRINCH now be called HOW THE GRINCH HIJACKED THE HOLIDAY SEASON?

Preposterous.

Yeah! Nothing worse than Dr. Seuss Enterprises deciding which Dr. Seuss titles they will sell!

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 4:32 PM   

I'm afraid the poor Doctor may be rolling over in his Green Eggs and Ham.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 4:34 PM   

My gosh the Seussian Racist Titles are Skyrocketing in Price on ebay.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 4:37 PM   

My gosh the Seussian Racist Titles are Skyrocketing in Price on ebay.

Of course! Because people don't want something until they're told they can't have it.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 4:46 PM   

This just in!:

JERRY GOLDSMITH'S CAPRICORN ONE SOUNDTRACK RECALLED.

The cue Bedtime Story underscores a scene where Brenda Vaccaro reads from a Dr. Seuss book that contains Sexist words like "Chicks" "Tricks" "Fox" and "Box" that can potentially offend some viewers.

WARNER BROS. HAS ALSO DECIDED TO DELETE THE SCENE FROM FURTHER DVD & BLU-RAY RELEASES OF THE FILM. THEY APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE BEEN DAMAGED BY EXPERIENCING THE SCENE.

I can hear Vaccaro weeping for the World.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 4:51 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Of course! Because people don't want something until they're told they can't have it.

That's actually only superficially true.
Among other reasons, I think it has more to do with the fact that when something will no longer be available in the future, many of the collectors of such things want to keep the item in question for preservation's sake--and that's a good thing.

Sort of like CD's of movie scores.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 4:54 PM   

This just in JERRY GOLDSMITH'S CAPRICORN ONE SOUNDTRACK RECALLED.

You do realize that many of the soundtracks discussed here are limited editions, correct?

So it's OK if something is deleted for one reason but not another? In the end, the item is deleted, and prices of used copies increase.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 4:54 PM   

All the LITTLE MERMAID Disney Posters and Video Boxes with the "inside joke" Penis Artwork.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 8:26 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

... But now you're up in arms because...

If the cause be just.

Well, then I'm up in arms because the CD of "Point Blank" and "The Outfit" was censored when it went out of print, before I had a chance to buy it. That is some real censorship, isn't it? Keeping a film score CD from those who want to hear it?

You do know the definition of censorship and going out of print isn't it.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 8:28 PM   

This is an outrage!

Dr. Seuss Enterprises wants to protect the name and brand of Dr. Seuss.

What is the world coming to?

Protect the name and brand of said author by censoring his very own work.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 8:30 PM   

All the LITTLE MERMAID Disney Posters and Video Boxes with the "inside joke" Penis Artwork.

I've held onto my VHS video and original Mermaid video poster for this very reason. The "penis" shall never be erased from history as long as I have something to say about it!

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 9:45 PM   

I've held onto my VHS video and original Mermaid video poster for this very reason. The "penis" shall never be erased from history as long as I have something to say about it!

I remember seeing ZARDOZ first run on the Big Screen when I was 16 years old:

Posted:   Mar 3, 2021 - 3:00 AM   
 By:   Mark   (Member)

I would suggest that (because they were deemed degenerate art or whatever) if no more Jerry Goldsmith scores got a release (both new scores, expanded scores and reissues) then peoples blasé attitudes on here to the fundamentals of this issue (the decision to withold art from the public for whatever reason) would drastically change

Posted:   Mar 3, 2021 - 5:01 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

I know nothing about the books, but can't they just change the racist images in them to something more acceptable? Would that not be reasonably straightforward to do?

Posted:   Mar 3, 2021 - 5:06 AM   

I would suggest that (because they were deemed degenerate art or whatever) if no more Jerry Goldsmith scores got a release (both new scores, expanded scores and reissues) then peoples blasé attitudes on here to the fundamentals of this issue (the decision to withold art from the public for whatever reason) would drastically change

I'm not a fan of Jerry Goldsmith per se, but his scores go out of print all the time. It's no different.

Posted:   Mar 3, 2021 - 5:07 AM   

You do know the definition of censorship and going out of print isn't it.

A company deleting a title from its catalog is not censorship. Are you suggesting that companies be forced to sell particular titles? Who will enforce this?

Posted:   Mar 3, 2021 - 5:13 AM   
 By:   Mark   (Member)

I'm not a fan of Jerry Goldsmith per se, but his scores go out of print all the time. It's no different.

There is a big difference. If you need it explained please let me know, however I suspect, as an intelligent guy that you are fully aware of it