Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 27, 2010 - 6:16 AM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

You suddenly got rich? ;-D

Going to Hungary to see Jarre is really an act of a fan, but I guess you stay there for vacation as well, not just for the concert...

Personally, I'm at least really looking forward to Simple Minds in Stavern, Norway of all places in July.

Posted:   Feb 27, 2010 - 6:30 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

You suddenly got rich? ;-D

Going to Hungary to see Jarre is really an act of a fan, but I guess you stay there for vacation as well, not just for the concert...

Personally, I'm at least really looking forward to Simple Minds in Stavern, Norway of all places in July.

He, he..nope, in fact I'm poorer than ever, what with being unemployed and everything. However, both the Morricone and Jarre concert happened to fall on dates I were going to London and Budapest anyway (and that I had saved up money for). And the Jarre concert was only 300 NOK for OK seats (would probably have been 7-800 in Norway). PLUS it's a tour he won't even visit Scandinavia.

Simple Minds is pretty good too, though, although I'm not a big fan or anything. Nice "pop carpentry", as we say up here.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2010 - 8:50 AM   

Well, the Budapest concert last week was great (better than the Oslo concert earlier this year, I think), but now I've ordered tickets for the Akershus Festning concert with Røyksopp too! It will be my fifth Jarre concert. See you there, FB?

Posted:   Jun 1, 2010 - 10:45 AM   
 By:   DJS   (Member)

I am always looking out for what Jarre is doing. But for me, his earlier stuff is much more enjoyable to listen to - his more recent stuff such as Geometry of Love, Sessions 2000 & Metamorphoses are not the style I enjoy. And his score to the movie Les Granges Brulées? I thought that Jarre and film music would make an interesting mix. But no.

His discs such as Oxygene and Equinoxe were what got me hooked on his music. And this liking was reinforced by CDs such as Magnetic Fields and Rendezvous. And his Concerts In China is excellent.

Zoolook was my first serious test with Jarre's work and there's definitely a mix of good tracks bad tracks. And the 45-minute long track on Waiting For Cousteau is something to get lost in.

More recently, I have not enjoyed the style of music he releases but more recent CDs such as Chronologie and Revolutions shows that he can still produce good music.

Favourite Jarre CD? Although most of his CDs contain at least 2-3 good tracks, Equinoxe is my fav.

Oh, and by the way, I always thought that Jean Michael Jarre was far better than Vangelis. You were either a Jarre fan or a Vangelis fan - a bit like the SWAP SHOP/TISWAS and BLUE PETER/MAGPIE divides.

I completely agree with this. The 2nd Oxygene was brilliant as well. His new stuff is lackluster and quite mediocre considering what he is capable of.

Chronologie is my fav album followed by Oxygene 2 and Equinoxe.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2010 - 11:57 AM   

I completely agree with this. The 2nd Oxygene was brilliant as well. His new stuff is lackluster and quite mediocre considering what he is capable of.

I urge you to check out SESSIONS 2000 and GEOMETRY OF LOVE, which are two recent albums of his. Really mezmerizing stuff, quite experimental.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2010 - 3:43 PM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

Well, the Budapest concert last week was great (better than the Oslo concert earlier this year, I think), but now I've ordered tickets for the Akershus Festning concert with Røyksopp too! It will be my fifth Jarre concert. See you there, FB?

Chances are very good that I'll be there. Haven't bought tickets yet though, I guess they won't sell out too soon.

Jarre played in Oslo a year ago, not "earlier this year", unless I have missed something....

Posted:   Jun 1, 2010 - 3:46 PM   

Chances are very good that I'll be there. Haven't bought tickets yet though, I guess they won't sell out too soon.

Jarre played in Oslo a year ago, not "earlier this year", unless I have missed something....

A year ago, true. I have my Jarre concerts lining up so rapidly now that I lose track of time. smile

Posted:   Jun 1, 2010 - 6:52 PM   
 By:   ToneRow   (Member)

Jarre was the one who introduced me to PURE instrumental music which I actually liked (unlike my father's classical music, which I had a harder time getting into at this particular time).

While you've may have said this a number of times before throughout the years, I've only joined this Board within 2010, so I just came accross this thread and am curious to learn which category of classical music belongs to your father's tastes that you have (or had) difficulty assimulating, Thor?

Posted:   Jun 2, 2010 - 3:21 AM   

Jarre was the one who introduced me to PURE instrumental music which I actually liked (unlike my father's classical music, which I had a harder time getting into at this particular time).

While you've may have said this a number of times before throughout the years, I've only joined this Board within 2010, so I just came accross this thread and am curious to learn which category of classical music belongs to your father's tastes that you have (or had) difficulty assimulating, Thor?

Well, you have to remember that I was 12-13 years old at the time (ca. 1989/1990 or thereabouts), and classical music didn't have to be 20th century, complex avantgarde music to turn me off and/or bore me. In fact, while my father has an extensive classical music collection of thousands of LP's and hundreds of CD's, it's mostly pre-20th century stuff. I can't remember exactly what he played at that time, though. Both "big guys" (Beethoven, Mozart, Händel) and different genres - church music, operas, you name it.

Interestingly, I required a "detour" through film music to properly acquaint myself with the orchestral expression and hence be open to classical music of both old and new. It was classical as a "spin-off" of film music, which again was a spin-off of electronic music, which again was a spin-off of prog rock and so on. Funny how these things work. smile

Posted:   Jun 3, 2010 - 12:58 AM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

I am always looking out for what Jarre is doing. But for me, his earlier stuff is much more enjoyable to listen to - his more recent stuff such as Geometry of Love, Sessions 2000 & Metamorphoses are not the style I enjoy. And his score to the movie Les Granges Brulées? I thought that Jarre and film music would make an interesting mix. But no.

His discs such as Oxygene and Equinoxe were what got me hooked on his music. And this liking was reinforced by CDs such as Magnetic Fields and Rendezvous. And his Concerts In China is excellent.

Zoolook was my first serious test with Jarre's work and there's definitely a mix of good tracks bad tracks. And the 45-minute long track on Waiting For Cousteau is something to get lost in.

More recently, I have not enjoyed the style of music he releases but more recent CDs such as Chronologie and Revolutions shows that he can still produce good music.

Favourite Jarre CD? Although most of his CDs contain at least 2-3 good tracks, Equinoxe is my fav.

Oh, and by the way, I always thought that Jean Michael Jarre was far better than Vangelis. You were either a Jarre fan or a Vangelis fan - a bit like the SWAP SHOP/TISWAS and BLUE PETER/MAGPIE divides.

"Oxygene" is certainly one of Jarre's best.

Posted:   Jun 3, 2010 - 6:25 AM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

Magnetic Fields is the only track of his I've been able to sit through, likely since it owes so much to other, better keyboard players. Other tracks I'd tried were just too pop oriented, too, bubbly, and very quickly turned me off.

Posted:   Jun 3, 2010 - 9:05 AM   

Magnetic Fields is the only track of his I've been able to sit through, likely since it owes so much to other, better keyboard players. Other tracks I'd tried were just too pop oriented, too, bubbly, and very quickly turned me off.

He has LOTS of experimental stuff as well, in case you don't like the more melodic material. The pre-OXYGENE album DESERTED PALACE is full of it (some of it sounds like Stockhausen!), as are elements in SESSIONS 2000 and GEOMETRY OF LOVE, two more recent efforts (these venture more into ambient territory). Or the 40+ minute title track from WAITING FOR COSTEAU. Here are two examples, the first is a track called "Free Floating Anxiety" from DESERTED PALACE (1972), the second is the recent OXYGENE VARIATIONS. Great stuff, far from pop-oriented:

Posted:   May 9, 2011 - 3:06 AM   

A new Jarre CD is coming out shortly, calles ESSENTIALS AND RARITIES. I already have most - if not all - of these, but I'm looking forward to hearing both remastered versions of the "greatest hits" on the first and fully restored versions of the early work (1968-1973) on CD 2, which has previously only been available on various bootlegs.

Posted:   May 9, 2011 - 6:45 AM   
 By:   Marlene   (Member)

A new Jarre CD is coming out shortly, calles ESSENTIALS AND RARITIES. I already have most - if not all - of these, but I'm looking forward to hearing both remastered versions of the "greatest hits" on the first and fully restored versions of the early work (1968-1973) on CD 2, which has previously only been available on various bootlegs.

Oooooh, that´s nice! I hope he doesn´t mess around with these again...

Posted:   Jul 18, 2011 - 7:19 AM   

I just got the ESSENTIALS & RARITIES set, although I have 99% of these tracks before. Call it a desire to have them in as good sound as possible.

I would like to recommend another track to the person who earlier said that Jarre was too pop and "bubbly". Well, this piece -- "Happiness is a Sad Song", composed in the late 60's -- starts off like a piece for car alarms, but then ventures into Ligeti territory:

Mesmerizing!

Posted:   Jul 18, 2011 - 1:03 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

I just got the ESSENTIALS & RARITIES set, although I have 99% of these tracks before. Call it a desire to have them in as good sound as possible.

I wouldn't have a problem adding one more JMJ compilation to the shelf.

Thor, does the ESSENTIALS disc have any remixing on it? Are the tracks crossfaded? I'm curious to know because those are 2 things that would turn me off from buying it.

Oh, almost forgot... is anything from "Supermarkets" on the RARITIES disc? That would actually make me forgive any remixes or crossfading! big grin

Posted:   Jul 18, 2011 - 3:20 PM   

Thor, does the ESSENTIALS disc have any remixing on it? Are the tracks crossfaded? I'm curious to know because those are 2 things that would turn me off from buying it.

No, they're not crossfaded like the AERO compilation. I don't think they're remixed very much either. But they're remastered (once again).

Oh, almost forgot... is anything from "Supermarkets" on the RARITIES disc? That would actually make me forgive any remixes or crossfading! big grin

Nope. Since he burned the master tapes after he made his single copy, I doubt you'll ever see a release of this (beyond the bootlegged radio broadcast in crappy sound that is circulating).

Posted:   Jul 18, 2011 - 3:32 PM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

I've got Oxygene on cassette somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and give it a whirl. Been a long, long time . . .

Same with Pulstar by Vangelis. That's on CD, but needs dusting off.

Posted:   Jul 18, 2011 - 3:50 PM   
 By:   Marlene   (Member)

Most of the time I don´t like his newer stuff. I love Oxygene, Equinoxe and Oxygene 7-13.

Thor, are ESSENTIAL & RARITIES anything like them?

Posted:   Jul 18, 2011 - 3:53 PM   

Most of the time I don´t like his newer stuff. I love Oxygene, Equinoxe and Oxygene 7-13.

Thor, are ESSENTIAL & RARITIES anything like them?

Well, it's a compilation. The first disc contains the "essentials" from his entire career, so that may be hit and miss for you. The second disc consists solely of his early material (as far back as the late 60's), however, and there's some really great stuff there if you're into pioneering sounds, both avantgarde and more pop-oriented.