Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 4, 2021 - 10:21 AM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

L.A. Confidential (1997). I have thought about watching it again but I'm not sure I want to spend money on it ... I gave the DVD away almost a decade ago.

I didn't have it on disc, I recorded it from TCM, but I bought a Blu-ray today, only £4 in Cex (s/h). I could easily see it again, as I lost the plot a bit in the middle (I'm always losing the plot these days). I get the impression that the original book is quite complex, & they did well to film it as clearly as they did.

Posted:   May 4, 2021 - 11:01 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

L.A. Confidential (1997). I have thought about watching it again but I'm not sure I want to spend money on it ... I gave the DVD away almost a decade ago.

I didn't have it on disc, I recorded it from TCM, but I bought a Blu-ray today, only £4 in Cex (s/h). I could easily see it again, as I lost the plot a bit in the middle (I'm always losing the plot these days). I get the impression that the original book is quite complex, & they did well to film it as clearly as they did.

Yes, they did a lot of drafts and worked for at least two years on the script to streamline the plot for a movie without watering it down. Helgeland (the screenwriter) has said in an interview what they did was "remove every scene from the book that didn't have the three main cops in it, and then to work from those scenes out." And Curtis Hanson said that he wanted the audience challenged "but at the same time I didn't want them to get lost".
I have not read that novel, so I am just taking the movie for what it is, but I like it a lot.

Posted:   May 4, 2021 - 12:53 PM   
 By:   Spinmeister   (Member)

Steel Magnolias (1989)

Quaint tear-jerker with an irresistible big name cast. I must admit, however, I was counting the minutes until a person of colour actually got something to say, which wasn't until 1:25:00 into the 2hr runtime.

Exceptionally pleasant score by Delerue, but then what else was new.

7/10

Posted:   May 4, 2021 - 1:53 PM   
 By:   Damian   (Member)

At least they got to say something.

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 2:33 AM   

Deadpool 2 6/10

Ok fun for a fairly recent effort ( on my telly, anyway). Probably won't watch it again,rarely do with new,popcorn films.

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 6:34 AM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

"I must admit, however, I was counting the minutes until a person of colour actually got something to say, which wasn't until 1:25:00 into the 2hr runtime"
------------------------
I think in SUPERMAN-THE MOVIE it's "Say Jim, whoooo, That's A BAAADDDD Out-Fit"
I don't have the timings to hand.

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 7:14 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

"I must admit, however, I was counting the minutes until a person of colour actually got something to say, which wasn't until 1:25:00 into the 2hr runtime"
------------------------
I think in SUPERMAN-THE MOVIE it's "Say Jim, whoooo, That's A BAAADDDD Out-Fit"
I don't have the timings to hand.

That got the biggest laugh in the theater! He kinda looked like a pimp too! LOL

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 7:59 AM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

In STAR WARS, it actually might be THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!!! lol
Unless you count Darth Vader (Black Dude talkin' for a White Guy) wink

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 8:11 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

I saw Alien and the creature didnt have any lines in 2 hours.

Oh wait, it did hiss once.

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 8:35 AM   

THE ROBE
The story of tribune Marcellus (Richard Burton), a roman soldier in charge of the crucifixion of Jesus. After the event, Marcellus is haunted by nightmares and guilt and he sets on a journey to learn more about the man he killed. Jean Simmons provides the love interest, Alfred Newman the music. Victor Mature plays Demetrius, and Jay Robinson steals the show with a manic turn as Caligula.
First film released in the widescreen process Cinemascope.
Sequel Demetrius and the Gladiators next up.
7 out of 10.

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 9:43 AM   

Good choice, Bill. A fav in our house.

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 2:32 PM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

The Molly Maguires (1970) ... 7+/10

Another of those films which passed me by ... for 50 years smile and I'll admit that for the first few minutes I could easily have given up. I'm glad I didn't because although I can't say I enjoyed it, I found it impressive and compelling. I wasn't aware of the specific history around which the story plays out but know these events were not, and remain not, unique.

Impressively filmed there was no getting away from the hardships of daily life .. and especially work ... for the community who are, in all but name, prisoners but for the fact that they can leave. The pit scenes above and below ground looked real, as did the coal dust et al. in which the cast spent a large part of the film. Ironically, the one clear fake scene was the hill-side romantic interlude ... perhaps the weather wasn't sufficiently kind for filming.

Richard Harris was excellent in the lead role, far more so than Sean Connery... helped perhaps by the former's dominance of earlier scenes. Samantha Eggar overcame my doubts as to her miscasting and only Frank Finlay failed to ring true ... though his Welsh accent was better than Connery's Irish one (to my Brummie ears).

Location settings, albeit depressing, were excellent and it was beautifully filmed making good use of the widescreen ratio. As much as I like Henry Mancini's theme on CD I did find I wasn't so happy with it against the visuals. The main title was too gentle for the opening scene reveal and later I tired of its repetitive use. There were a couple of different pieces later (such as for the romantic scene on the hill) but the main title theme was dominant.

Overlong, it is a slow film, and I was expecting a different outcome. Worth watching mainly for Richard Harris.
Mitch

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 4:11 PM   

For $1000 a Day(1966) 7/10
With Zachary Hatcher, Pier Angeli and Mimmo Palmeri
Quite decent and enjoyable film( more so than I was expecting as I'd never heard of it). Basic plot of young chap learns to be a good quick shot in order to avenge his parent's murder. The bit of a twist here is that he works.his way into the gang.of the guilty.He then proceeds to undermine their sanity. He sends anonymous notes and coffins for their upcoming deaths. They naturally shit themselves. Decently made and acted, not over the top in any way. A pleasant surprise. And no mexicans were required.

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 5:31 PM   
 By:   Spinmeister   (Member)

Timeline (2003)

Eighteen years later…

Eh…what was the point? The premise is daft and none of the characters or conflicts are the least bit engaging. And apart from the castle siege at the end, where did all the money go? Plus, Paul Walker never took his shirt off, so who'd Donner think he was kidding anyway?

While Tyler provided his usual macho noise, might Goldsmith’s contribution have “elevated” matters any? Having watched The Mutant’s score-to-picture assemblies, perhaps here and there, but the fact remains the movie is a flea bitten cur and no music score could ever come close to enlivening it.

4/10

Posted:   May 6, 2021 - 2:22 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

THE ROBE
The story of tribune Marcellus (Richard Burton), a roman soldier in charge of the crucifixion of Jesus. After the event, Marcellus is haunted by nightmares and guilt and he sets on a journey to learn more about the man he killed. Jean Simmons provides the love interest, Alfred Newman the music. Victor Mature plays Demetrius, and Jay Robinson steals the show with a manic turn as Caligula.
First film released in the widescreen process Cinemascope.
Sequel Demetrius and the Gladiators next up.
7 out of 10.

Interesting Bill. I've always thought the guy who plays Caligula in those films were acting like he was in a different film to everyone else. That performance really helps to put me off those films, neither of which I think are particularly good.

Posted:   May 6, 2021 - 3:33 AM   

Interesting Bill. I've always thought the guy who plays Caligula in those films were acting like he was in a different film to everyone else.

He was, after all, playing Caligula, who was on another planet. smile

Posted:   May 6, 2021 - 7:16 AM   

Fair point Thomas, about the films, i know what you mean, but i thought Robinson captured the tyrannical insanity rather well and how he made everyone around him on edge n not sure what was coming next. Its that crazy case of Heads you die, tails i kill you (another western damian hasnt yet reviewed! Probably because no actual Mexicans had a speaking part!). big grin

Posted:   May 6, 2021 - 7:51 AM   

. Its that crazy case of Heads you die, tails i kill you (another western damian hasnt yet reviewed! Probably because no actual Mexicans had a speaking part!). big grin

Watched ages ago, not on the list for a re-watch at present. So an economy review just for you . Not bad, George is cool a bit crazy but fun, good score by Stel. smile

Posted:   May 7, 2021 - 4:27 PM   

A Coffin Full of Dollars (1971)6 'n' a bit/10.
With Jack Betts(Hunt Powers), Gordon Mitchell, Jeff Cameron and Klaus Kinski
For a film directed by the Italian Ed Wood it was remarkably well made( for once) and quite coherent.
Gang boss Klaus's two brothers get killed. So he gets revenge on those who did it. The brother/son of the family goes after Klaus's gang. Picking them off with the help of Mitchell's slightly cracked bounty hunter. Plenty of punchin' n' shootin', some horses( always a plus in a western). The music by Lallo Gori was ok, though some did sound like it was from a sex comedy. There were several Mexicans scattered around, though they might have been Irish ( Ramon O'Dowd, Miguel Shaughnassy, Paco O'Neal)

Posted:   May 8, 2021 - 2:39 AM   

Coffin full of dollars was a title of one of the Man with no name follow up books. Great shame Eastwood didnt go to spain and make all the other Tandem Dollar stories. Especially given some of the twaddle he stayed in america to make.