Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 8, 2021 - 2:44 AM   
 By:   Damian   (Member)

Coffin full of dollars was a title of one of the Man with no name follow up books. Great shame Eastwood didnt go to spain and make all the other Tandem Dollar stories. Especially given some of the twaddle he stayed in america to make.

I actually bought one of those follow up books, years ago( I actually read it!). I can't remember much but it was enjoyable. All I recall is that it was about a tontine and someone was murdering the participants

Posted:   May 8, 2021 - 2:46 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

There were 8 altogether i think.

Posted:   May 8, 2021 - 2:48 AM   

Posted:   May 8, 2021 - 4:08 AM   

There were 8 altogether i think.

I can't find mine. I f my memory is still working it looks like either the third or fourth.

Posted:   May 8, 2021 - 1:13 PM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

"Broad sword calling Danny boy, broad sword calling Danny boy. Over."

Where Eagles Dare )1969). Great stuff, but when the shooting starts in the last quarter, it all gets very daft. It really doesn't look that great, like an over-sharpened average DVD. Now a nice new scan from the actual original negatives would look so much better. I wonder if Warner will ever do it?

Posted:   May 8, 2021 - 1:19 PM   

"Calling" not "to" mate.
And its "come in Broadsword"

But apart from that, its right ha ha

Posted:   May 8, 2021 - 1:26 PM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

"Calling" not "to" mate.
And its "come in Broadsword"

But apart from that, its right ha ha

I don't know what you mean gov'ner big grin

Posted:   May 8, 2021 - 1:37 PM   

big grin

Posted:   May 9, 2021 - 12:52 AM   

Red heat
Arnie, james belushi, Horner, walter hill.. always liked this buddy/action film. Witty dialogue, decent banter between the leads and perfect casting with belushi and arnie as stiff russian ivan danko. Unusual bus chase at the end.
8 out of 10 and its held out well.

Posted:   May 9, 2021 - 2:05 AM   

. Unusual bus chase at the end.

I remember that one being unusual. It was 'exact fare please' smile

Posted:   May 10, 2021 - 1:12 PM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

Lost Command (1966) ... 4+/10

Despite a commanding smile performance by Anthony Quinn and some glorious cinematography I struggled to like this film. The subject matter made for uneasy viewing but putting this aside I thought the script and direction were lacking, the former somewhat incoherent at times, the latter disjointed ... perhaps emphasised by poor editing.

Other stars and support actors were generally good (Alain Delon especially) but George Segal was badly miscast and he failed to portray his character with any conviction. Having him shoot one of his own men did not build his character, just turned him into a thug (example of poor script/direction).

I also struggle to believe this was a 1966 film since Delon, Segal and Cardinale were, I thought, bigger stars then ... almost as if it had been filmed a year or two prior but IMDb states 1965 for start of production.

Franz Waxman's score failed to register with me other than the somewhat bombastic finale. The melodious George Auric theme from Moulin Rouge used in an early romantic scene was distinct by comparison.
Mitch

Posted:   May 10, 2021 - 1:22 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

"Broad sword calling Danny boy, broad sword calling Danny boy. Over."

Where Eagles Dare )1969). Great stuff, but when the shooting starts in the last quarter, it all gets very daft. It really doesn't look that great, like an over-sharpened average DVD. Now a nice new scan from the actual original negatives would look so much better. I wonder if Warner will ever do it?

And if they do a new scan, will they put the intermission and entr'acte back in, which have been missing from every release since the 1988 laserdisc?

Posted:   May 10, 2021 - 2:53 PM   
 By:   Dana Wilcox   (Member)

Without Remorse Amazon Prime, Clancy shoot-em-up starring Michael B. Jordan. Muddy plot and wooden acting but fun if you like lots of firepower. I'd rate it a 5 out of 10.

Posted:   May 11, 2021 - 5:05 AM   
 By:   jackfu   (Member)

Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) 8/10
Always enjoy this one when it's on TV. Solid, believable cast, acting and plot. You get to know each of the important characters and like/dislike them on their merits or lack thereof. There's humor, romance and of course, lots of action. My Dad served in the Army on Luzon in WWII and he liked the film, so it makes me think that it does bear at least some realism as to the real-life war.
The scene in which Stryker confronts and begins beating Thomas (Forrest Tucker) after learning of his "coffee break" that resulted in the death of one of their own, and then Thomas's repentance, remorse and reconciliation with Stryker is a favorite. Also when Stryker goes to the woman's house for a "rendezvous", only to realize she's a widow with a young toddler and he gives her all his walking money instead is touching.
I do have two gripes:
1. At no time do you ever believe they were on the real Iwo Jima (Iwo To) in this film.
2. The channel I was watching showed an edited version in which they cut out the word "Jap" in every instance it was used, which was quite a lot. In the battle sequences it often seemed every other word was cut due to this, so the dialogue sounded very choppy - which was the most irritating part for me. I just found it annoying and it rings hollow that it's okay to show American Marines shooting, bayonetting, roasting with flamethrowers, blasting to bits the Japanese soldiers, but don't call them "Jap".
I think we all get it, that it was a slur used back then.
All in all a very satisfying film.

Posted:   May 11, 2021 - 5:50 AM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

WATCH ON THE RHINE (1943) 10/10

An excellent version of Lillian Hellman's play concerning anti-fascism prior to the US entering WW2. Stars Paul Lukas (Best Actor Oscar) and Bette Davis. The parallels to the political situation today are eerie.

Posted:   May 11, 2021 - 2:11 PM   

The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018) ... 3+/10

Once upon a time there was a trilogy of films which told a compelling story ... not realistic but filled with characters with whom the audience could relate ... you were sufficiently concerned to want to know the background and how they'd overcome their scripted challenges.

A problem existed though ... these films did not feature known US stars and worse still ... the dialogue was not English! Still, Hollywood had solved this problem before ... remake the film with US and other known stars and have the English language throughout, notwithstanding the story's location.

Result: a totally forgettable The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) with promises of follow-ups which never materialised. Now we have Book 4 from the trilogy smile and the lead character has become an all-action heroine who can ride a bike across ice, drive fast cars and act like Jason Bourne whilst still being a top cyber expert.

There are several great action scenes set amidst lovely scenery (even if the snow isn't consistent) and each of the actors plays their characters pretty well (credit to the young Christopher Convery) but we're left watching another US popcorn film in which every action scene has to be followed by another more outrageous action scene and any characterisation is removed in case it clouds the action.

Most of the music (Roque BaƱos) is totally forgettable, too, very much the modern US style.

I think the aforementioned earlier film was more enjoyable ... if only I could remember it.
Mitch

Posted:   May 11, 2021 - 8:28 PM   
 By:   Xebec   (Member)

Promising Young Woman
7.3/10
Very good central performance. The story was interesting, never dull. There's a shocking incident which made the film memorable, other than that it would have been a very formulaic, linear film told quite stylishly.

Posted:   May 12, 2021 - 1:50 PM   

teneT
Tahw a elip fo tihs. Gnisufnoc Egabrag.
Erocs esion lufdaerd.
10 tuo fo 2.

Posted:   May 12, 2021 - 1:59 PM   

teneT
Tahw a elip fo tihs. Gnisufnoc Egabrag.
Erocs esion lufdaerd.
10 tuo fo 2.

Should that not be 10 of tuo 2?

Clearly a film I should look forward to not seeing ...

P.S.: perhaps you should have reversed the spelling of the film's title too ...

Posted:   May 12, 2021 - 2:02 PM   

Stay away from this one mitch.
Back to the future 3 meets inception backwards at the same time.
And the music? Omg irritating bursts of alarm noise.
One bit sounded like a washing machine slowing down.