Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 29, 2019 - 6:23 AM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

THE CONVERSATION is way overrated.
Artsyfartsy to the max.

Overrated how? Overrated in that others are not entitled to their own opinion and only entitled to the Marshmallow opinion?

No thanks. The Conversation 10/10.

You're entitled to your opinion.
Just so you acknowledge its worthless.

Funny how a minimalist and restrained style is being called "artsyfartsy." It's different enough from the average film that you become aware of that style, but it's not as extreme as a Jim Jarmusch film. And even his "art house" film style is an accepted niche today.

For the record, THE CONVERSATION is a great movie, a modern noir. On first viewing, I can understand how the film seems to be distant from the characters, almost like a surveillance camera, and this might be distracting enough to feel like the director is breaking the 4th wall. But you still sympathize with Hackman by the end, and more so on repeat viewings.

I'm not sure why the discussion came up in "Favorite FSM Posts" since it's irrelevant to the thread topic.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2019 - 10:05 AM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

Okay, back on topic please:

304. Mr. Marshmallow's idea of "great writing" in "Favorite FSM Posts Over the Years":

" You've got something nobody else in the world has - a chance to start over. Clean . Fresh.
You want to blow that chance!?
I could care less"

That's great writing!"

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=123923&forumID=7&archive=0&pageID=24&r=785#0

Not sure what yer linking me to Jimbo?

Did you mean to link " personal confessions"?

BTW I was QUOTING dialog,NOT endorsing its grammatical appropriation.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2019 - 10:07 AM   

I'm not a fan of the private eye genre in general ( not even CHINATOWN) so my appreciation for TC is ' biased'; like the ' liberal's media.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2019 - 2:35 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

I'm not a fan of the private eye genre in general ( not even CHINATOWN) so my appreciation for TC is ' biased'; like the ' liberal's media.

If even a quarter of your mind actively functioned, you would understand that the private eye--and to a lesser degree, the rogue cop-- represents the eternal outsider: a figure who exists on the margins of society and can never belong, despite their invaluable role in correcting society's wrongs.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2019 - 2:49 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

I could care less that Oscar Taylor first uttered his ignorance of ye Olde King's English and I couldn't care less that Sir William of MacCrumbles was there, when first utterance was made.
I'm more impressed that Google Flat Earth was there to hear, note and record Oscar Taylor utter his utterance.
And the next time I hear some eedyit utter that wrong utterance, I will kill them to death (but by that, I mean I will NOT kill them to death, just like said utterance infers).
Good Day To You Sir.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2019 - 7:09 AM   

Mr Jacks complete Godzilla style meltdown in the “Defective media/CD after a few years ..........” thread.
Don’t wanna hit a guy when he’s down but that was pretty epic. We've all been there. wink

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=136664&forumID=1&archive=0

Here's the C&C Edition of said meltdowns...notice how the last post returns to "bargaining mode":

"Whatever happened to the promises of a "lifetime of listening enjoyment" that CDs promised back in the 80s?"

"Oh, what the fuck...now my disc #1 of Body Heat has the "electronic woodchipper" shit going on. mad That's one of my FAVORITE FILM SCORES EVER."

"Will I have to buy a new copy every five years? What IS this bullshit?!"

"Seriously, what the fuck? I take care of my shit, so why are my CDs starting to die? Media should last forever."

"This is bullshit, it's absolute BULLSHIT."

"I JUST GOT BANNED FROM TWITTER FOR YELLING AT PEOPLE MAKING FUN OF MY CDS DYING AND NOW I WANT TO KILL EVERYONE IN THE FUCKING WORLD."

"I am not happy."

"What irreplaceable CD is gonna randomly shit the bed next?"

"Would FSM replace a defective disc for an in-print title like Body Heat? Disc #2 seemed to be working fine in my set."

Posted:   Sep 30, 2019 - 9:32 AM   

If even a quarter of your mind actively functioned, you would understand that the private eye--and to a lesser degree, the rogue cop-- represents the eternal outsider: a figure who exists on the margins of society and can never belong, despite their invaluable role in correcting society's wrongs.

Are you saying " I don't get t"?

Posted:   Oct 2, 2019 - 5:48 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

The eventual wearing down of Shaun Rutherford, in the Jo Jo Rabbit thread, of Brian Tyler's love child's CONSTANT refrain to a (sometimes only potential) digital release only

BT Love Child = "No CD = No sale"

By: Shaun Rutherford (Member)

Piss + Off

Posted:   Oct 2, 2019 - 6:32 AM   

307.(?) First Breath calling a virgin spade a virgin spade in that Howard the Duck thread:

Mr. Jack: "As a preteen watching this movie growing up, I developed a greater appreciation for the female version of the human anatomy."

Graham: "You and me both."

First Breath: "The closest you ever got?"

The gif is of Lea Thompson crawling around in her ropa interior (in case the link is broken)

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=1&forumID=1&threadID=136792&archive=0

Posted:   Oct 3, 2019 - 11:31 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Thor, sprouting entirely-disproportionate antlers about some Star Track conversation:

Quite the contrary, I'm going to complain about it over and over and over again untill dragon's news topics (with plenty of interesting tidbits otherwise) aren't hijacked and swallowed by STAR TREK fanboys. I'm curious -- would it be possible for me to kill Trekkies here, please? big grin

Irony lives. big grin

Posted:   Oct 3, 2019 - 12:43 PM   

Thor, sprouting entirely-disproportionate antlers about some Star Track conversation:

Quite the contrary, I'm going to complain about it over and over and over again untill dragon's news topics (with plenty of interesting tidbits otherwise) aren't hijacked and swallowed by STAR TREK fanboys. I'm curious -- would it be possible for me to kill Trekkies here, please? big grin

Irony lives. big grin

I think Thor was being kind to Trekkies.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2019 - 1:15 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Phelpsie's mildest ribbing at TCM - the Truculent Cranky Mizzog that is Arfur "humour bypass op" Grunt.
Who knew a gentle cheek-tweak in the Best Years of our lives thread would bring forth a ranting eruption like Jim had actually done something really really bad! big grin

Where's Arthur "Don't Call Me Mudcat" Grant? We're talking on his thread but he's not here. smile

Posted:   Oct 4, 2019 - 8:22 AM   
 By:   jackfu   (Member)

Solium presenting the new flick, THOR on the WCHBBNW(TG) thread.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=42716&forumID=7&archive=0&pageID=180&r=169#bottom

big grin

Posted:   Oct 4, 2019 - 9:01 AM   

Phelpsie's mildest ribbing at TCM - the Truculent Cranky Mizzog that is Arfur "humour bypass op" Grunt.
Who knew a gentle cheek-tweak in the Best Years of our lives thread would bring forth a ranting eruption like Jim had actually done something really really bad! big grin

Where's Arthur "Don't Call Me Mudcat" Grant? We're talking on his thread but he's not here. smile

How the hell does he know who Jim " Mudcat" Grant is?

Unless, he is really from Minnesota.