Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 26, 2019 - 12:27 PM   
 By:   Damian   (Member)

Don't know but it sounds like one of those PBS British dramas, where the music, while nice, has a tendency to sound the same. Unless this is years before.......

It's French and cd sez 2004

Posted:   Jun 26, 2019 - 1:21 PM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

I think we should do one at time...!
Otherwise it gets confusing what sample people are referring to.

Posted:   Jun 26, 2019 - 2:41 PM   
 By:   ZardozSpeaks   (Member)

Don't know but it sounds like one of those PBS British dramas, where the music, while nice, has a tendency to sound the same. Unless this is years before.......

It's French and cd sez 2004

It's also from a French television series which spanned between 1991 & 2004.
Shall we tell them who & what this is, Damian?

Posted:   Jun 26, 2019 - 2:42 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Yes, it can get confusing - figure this one out and I'll post a new one tonight smile

Posted:   Jun 26, 2019 - 3:15 PM   
 By:   ZardozSpeaks   (Member)

Yes, it can get confusing - figure this one out and I'll post a new one tonight smile

All right, then.

I say Damian's clip is Maigret by Laurent Petitgirard.

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 1:47 AM   

Here's the latest from me. I love this music.

https://soundcloud.com/user-335279397/mystery-track-thats-a-mystery

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 6:01 AM   
 By:   Mark   (Member)

Have to confess that I have only listened to the first 5 minutes of it as I am on my lunch break....and there is a lot that reminds me of John Williams in it.

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 7:46 AM   

All right, then.

I say Damian's clip is Maigret by Laurent Petitgirard.

Not Maigret but le miroir de l'eau by Stephane Moucha .Huzzah!

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 8:26 AM   
 By:   Graham Watt   (Member)

Is it Hindemith?

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 8:30 AM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

Is it Hindemith?

First 80 seconds reminds me of the soundtrack for "Light at the Edge of the World" - something by Piero Piccioni?

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 11:54 AM   

Is it Hindemith?

Not. No one will get this, but here's a couple of clews. I mainly put this up because it is SO film music like as are most of this person's pieces.

Clews: As far as I can discern, this composer never did film music. This composer passed away just three years ago at the ripe old age of eighty-seven.

This composer did study in America for a time, but is not American. In his country, he is the most notable composer next to the MOST notable composer from that country, the latter being one of the most notable composers ever. This composer was VERY prolific.

I love this person's music. And so will you.

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 12:18 PM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

Based on the clues and the style of the music, I suppose it must be from Einojuhani Rautavaara. I am not familiar enough with his work to pin it down on the exact piece though.

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 12:22 PM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

(Now say it again, Bruce - I like the sound of it! cool )

It's the Finnish Einojuhani Rautavaara - the 1st movement (Andante) from Symphony No.1.

Edit: Actually I wrote it before Nicolai P. Zwar but posted it later. Anyway... I'm generous! smile

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 12:25 PM   
 By:   MD   (Member)

*edited*

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 2:54 PM   
 By:   Spinmeister   (Member)

Rautavaara's 7th Sym. "Angel of Light" is a particularly rewarding listen.

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 3:17 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Since Goldsmith's death in 2004, Rautavaara was my favorite living composer, until he himself sadly passed away in 2016. Never heard a piece from him I didn't love.

Yavar

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 4:12 PM   

Ding, ding, ding - you people are GOOD! His symphonies are really fascinating. He starts off completely tonal and wonderful, then hits his serial patch - but those aren't just noise, they're really good pieces, and then by his final symphony he's full circle back to tonal.

I just got through with the twelve concertos box - it blew me away even more than the symphonies, especially the Cantus Arcticus, which is a four-star masterpiece. But every one of the concertos is great and the two box sets are so inexpensive and worth having. I should have another mystery track later tonight. But I'm so happy to know that some of you know Rautavaara. In Finland, he was second only to Sibelius, who is in my pantheon of greats and we even share a birth date.

Posted:   Jun 27, 2019 - 4:37 PM   
 By:   Spinmeister   (Member)

Cantus Arcticus (particularly Part 1: The Bog) was my introduction. When those lazy wafting chords kick in … primo stuff.

Posted:   Jun 28, 2019 - 2:42 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

Well, since everyone here seems to endorse him and I have not paid too much attention to him so far, I've put Einojuhani Rautavaara on my "check out more by this guy" list. smile

Posted:   Jun 29, 2019 - 9:36 AM   

For those with nothing better to do

https://soundcloud.com/damian-carroll-252713031/wotizit2b