Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 21, 2019 - 2:25 PM   
 By:   Livio Merino   (Member)

Various bits of this score (rerecorded) have appeared on compilation albums for Alwyn, but has the full score ever been released? I'm not sure if the original still exists or not?

Posted:   May 21, 2019 - 8:03 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

Various bits of this score (rerecorded) have appeared on compilation albums for Alwyn, but has the full score ever been released? I'm not sure if the original still exists or not?

I made a sound clip of main title from a TCM airing of the movie. Performed by the Sinfonia of London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinfonia_of_London

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER is also on one my compilations, TITANIC: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION, produced by Bruce Kimmel. This new performance is in modern sound quality, obviously, and frankly a much better listen. Varese Sarabande, 1998.

My taste in Titanic music runs more to the Horner and the Barry, but this is a vintage piece worthy of being heard.

Posted:   May 21, 2019 - 9:19 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't recall much score.

Posted:   May 22, 2019 - 5:56 AM   
 By:   martyn.crosthwaite   (Member)

The film score written by William Alwyn is outstanding and all new film composers should watch the movie to see exactly how a film should be scored . They will learn plenty.

Posted:   May 22, 2019 - 11:05 AM   
 By:   Livio Merino   (Member)

There isn't a ton of scoring throughout, but the movie does have a lot of memorable cues. From the Main Title, the rendition/version of Nearer My God To Thee (with some say was the actual version played, not what you hear in the 97 movie), and the action of the sinking and the somber aftermath.

I made a sound clip of main title from a TCM airing of the movie. Performed by the Sinfonia of London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinfonia_of_London

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER is also on one my compilations, TITANIC: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION, produced by Bruce Kimmel. This new performance is in modern sound quality, obviously, and frankly a much better listen. Varese Sarabande, 1998.

My taste in Titanic music runs more to the Horner and the Barry, but this is a vintage piece worthy of being heard.

I actually have that compilation, and enjoy it a lot!