Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 4, 2021 - 2:18 AM   
 By:   Moonlit   (Member)

I think somewhere Carpenter missed along the way on that one, but kudos to The Duke with the lamps on the front of his hood and the disco ball hanging inside. LOL big grin cool

Posted:   Feb 4, 2021 - 6:50 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

It's one of Carpenter's best films, certainly a favorite of mine. Gripping science-fiction story, classic anti-hero, full of colorful, interesting characters played by veteran actors, especially Lee van Cleef as Bob Hauk, and Ernest Borgnine as left back cab driver. Add to that Carpenter's cool, electronic score with its iconic, pulsating theme and a wonderful electronic interpolation of Debussy during the stealth glider sequence, and you got top drawer Carpenter as far as I'm concerned. I love every single minute of this film. (Incidentally, it is also Kurt Russel's favorite movie of all his movies.)

Posted:   Feb 4, 2021 - 10:57 AM   
 By:   TheAvenger   (Member)

Great concept, fabulous performance by Kurt Russell, dreadfully written and directed by Carpenter.

The sequel still had a terrific Kurt Russell performance but the rest of it was garbage (although the Mexican standoff scene is fun).

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 8:51 AM   
 By:   Micki Moreau   (Member)

Great concept, fabulous performance by Kurt Russell, dreadfully written and directed by Carpenter.

The sequel still had a terrific Kurt Russell performance but the rest of it was garbage (although the Mexican standoff scene is fun).

I'm biased to be sure, but I think just the opposite as far as writing and direction was concerned.

The second one had some fun highlights in it, but was a retread of the original. The surfing scene wasn't so good.

Posted:   Feb 6, 2021 - 4:41 AM   

I'll stick with Halloween, The Thing, AOP13, Christine, and Prince of Darkness as my favs. Carpenter kept going back to the use of the villain as "a force" of evil. It worked on Halloween and Christine, but it didn't for me on The Fog. I'm sure Dean Cundey had a lot to do with that.

Posted:   Feb 6, 2021 - 6:10 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Great film, obviously. I was supposed to have seen the 40th anniversary restoration on the big screen awhille back (which would then be my first encounter with the film in a theatre), but the press screening has been delayed due to the pandemic. Later this month, though.

Posted:   Feb 6, 2021 - 7:07 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

I was a huge carpenter fan from Assault on precinct 13 at the cinema, and so expectations were high by the time this one arrived. However it was a massive disappointment - Snake gets given all this equipment and a ferocious oozi-like machine gun - and dropped into a world of crazies with machetes and he manages to shoot ....a hole in a plasterboard wall and a thumb off. Was hoping for a death count of a few scummies, but...he does ...nothing. An action film ...with no action.

Good music. And ive learned to accept it since for what it is but was a big letdown. Its like the Wild Bunch loading up with guns, and then walking away from Mapache's cantina. frown

Posted:   Feb 6, 2021 - 7:14 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Never bought into this film. Kurt Russel has that "baby-face" and I can't take him seriously in the role as a tough guy. Funny enough he was much more convincing a year later in The Thing. I think the beard helped a lot. Also he wasn't actually a badass in The Thing, just headstrong. I think he was more perfectly cast as the comedic hero in Big Trouble in Little China.

Posted:   Feb 6, 2021 - 7:30 AM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

Great concept, but not for a cheapo film. It's a great (if bonkers) idea to have Manhattan Island as one big open prison. One big gang occupying The Empire State Building & another, The Chrysler Building. Big parades down 5th Avenue, pitched battles in Central Park, the whole thing could be epic. This film is more like escape from a couple of building & a back street.

Posted:   Feb 7, 2021 - 1:02 AM   

I was a huge carpenter fan from Assault on precinct 13 at the cinema, and so expectations were high by the time this one arrived. However it was a massive disappointment - Snake gets given all this equipment and a ferocious oozi-like machine gun - and dropped into a world of crazies with machetes and he manages to shoot ....a hole in a plasterboard wall and a thumb off. Was hoping for a death count of a few scummies, but...he does ...nothing. An action film ...with no action. (

Yes, I agree, the action is incredibly lacking and what there is isn’t very well done. Carpenter has never been great at action and in EFNY this deficiciency was highlighted by poor editing.

One the many many problems I have with the film is the bafflingly bad editing by Todd Ramsay. Ramsay of course has form for this since he was the one who seemingly thought that 37 hours of monotonous cloud footage in Star Trek The Slowmotion Picture was a good idea.

Posted:   Feb 7, 2021 - 1:11 AM   

Worth a remake. I don't say that often.

Posted:   Feb 7, 2021 - 4:25 AM   

Worth a remake. I don't say that often.

I’m with you. Generally I loathe Hollywood’s preoccupation with remaking movies but I actually don’t mind the idea of them remaking films that have good concepts but are badly executed.

Carpenter is easily replaceable - for the most part of his career in the 1980s onward he would be better directing traffic than movies - but Kurt Russell is going to be a tough act to follow as Snake.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2021 - 1:48 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

I'll stick with Halloween, The Thing, AOP13, Christine, and Prince of Darkness as my favs. Carpenter kept going back to the use of the villain as "a force" of evil. It worked on Halloween and Christine, but it didn't for me on The Fog. I'm sure Dean Cundey had a lot to do with that.

Hmm... while I like the movie Christine, I never saw the car as a force of "evil", it was more like a ferocious beast. The movie is a slightly satirical horror movie with the prevalent car fetishism taken to the extreme. Basically, Christine is a love story, much like King Kong (I can't help but side with the car in the scene when Christine takes out the thugs). I saw Prince of Darkness only once back when it came out and didn't much care or it then; I should possibly re-watch it one day. But ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK I think is nearly flawless. It's a cheap movie, sure, but for what it cost it was very well done. And Carpenter/Cundey really knew how to make a really good looking film with comparatively little money.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2021 - 1:52 AM   

I've often wondered if Carpenter was somehow inspired by the 1979 movie THE WARRIORS when making ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK. Does anyone know?

Posted:   Feb 8, 2021 - 3:51 AM   
 By:   Nedmerrill   (Member)

I've often wondered if Carpenter was somehow inspired by the 1979 movie THE WARRIORS when making ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK. Does anyone know?

I have always thought the same, it seems to conjure up the same atmosphere. I suppose it's to do with the setting, being filmed at night, the late seventies / early eighties style, the synth score, and the efficient use of budgets. Also I find both movies tend to have a similar theatrical style of acting.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2021 - 3:56 AM   

Yes, and sorta similar premise, even if THE WARRIORS isn't a sci fi film - i.e. traversing an inhospitable New York by night where violence is just around the corner, the cults/gangs etc.. They're often put up as "double bills" at Cinemateques.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2021 - 10:45 AM   
 By:   Micki Moreau   (Member)

I have always thought the same, it seems to conjure up the same atmosphere. I suppose it's to do with the setting, being filmed at night, the late seventies / early eighties style, the synth score, and the efficient use of budgets. Also I find both movies tend to have a similar theatrical style of acting.

Carpenter conjured up the Escape idea during the Nixon administration due to the distrust of govt at the time. The project sat on the back burner for a while

Posted:   Feb 8, 2021 - 12:05 PM   
 By:   Nedmerrill   (Member)

Carpenter conjured up the Escape idea during the Nixon administration due to the distrust of govt at the time. The project sat on the back burner for a while

Yes, I think I remember reading that somewhere, however in the execution of that idea the movie appears to mirror the style of The Warriors that had just been released in 1979. Could all be a coincidence though. Has anyone got Carpenter's phone number and we could find out if he saw the movie in theatres at the time, and how he feels at EFNY being compared to The Warriors?

Posted:   Feb 8, 2021 - 1:24 PM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

You can also ask him why its a promising action film ...with no action in it. And Why snake plisken points his oozi a lot but does...nothing.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2021 - 1:36 PM   
 By:   DOGBELLE   (Member)

Escape From New York

YES I did moved to Texas