Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 12:43 AM   
 By:   Moonlit   (Member)

I'll stick with Halloween, The Thing, AOP13, Christine, and Prince of Darkness as my favs. Carpenter kept going back to the use of the villain as "a force" of evil. It worked on Halloween and Christine, but it didn't for me on The Fog. I'm sure Dean Cundey had a lot to do with that.

Hmm... while I like the movie Christine, I never saw the car as a force of "evil", it was more like a ferocious beast. The movie is a slightly satirical horror movie with the prevalent car fetishism taken to the extreme. Basically, Christine is a love story, much like King Kong (I can't help but side with the car in the scene when Christine takes out the thugs). I saw Prince of Darkness only once back when it came out and didn't much care or it then; I should possibly re-watch it one day. But ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK I think is nearly flawless. It's a cheap movie, sure, but for what it cost it was very well done. And Carpenter/Cundey really knew how to make a really good looking film with comparatively little money.

I think Christine was a force of evil because it was indestructible much in the way Myers was.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 12:48 AM   
 By:   Moonlit   (Member)

Worth a remake. I don't say that often.

I’m with you. Generally I loathe Hollywood’s preoccupation with remaking movies but I actually don’t mind the idea of them remaking films that have good concepts but are badly executed.

Carpenter is easily replaceable - for the most part of his career in the 1980s onward he would be better directing traffic than movies - but Kurt Russell is going to be a tough act to follow as Snake.

Rated "R," not PG on the remake. Also The Warriors could be redone IMO. However, I kinda liked the gritty, low budget esthetic.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 6:44 AM   
 By:   lars.blondeel   (Member)

Remakes would be with big budget CGI action scenes, edited Michael Bay-style....... so... No !!!!

Posted:   Mar 2, 2021 - 10:57 AM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

Escape from New York borrows a lot from The Ultimate Warrior (1975).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073835/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3

Posted:   Mar 3, 2021 - 2:50 AM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

Escape from New York borrows a lot from The Ultimate Warrior (1975).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073835/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3

The Ultimate Warrior influenced many dystopic feature films like Mad Max and Escape from New York.

Posted:   Mar 3, 2021 - 9:12 AM   
 By:   Micki Moreau   (Member)

Escape From New York

YES I did moved to Texas

Right there with you! Oh wait... Now we wanna Escape from Texas since our governor cant make good decisions...