Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 10:28 AM   
 By:   neil_d   (Member)

A man I doubt needs any introduction, some great film and tv roles in his legacy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55954950

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 10:36 AM   
 By:   Damian   (Member)

A small film, maybe , but I've always loved his performance in Lily in Love. Quality.

By:   BillCarson   (Member)

I sang a duet with him while working in my garage only yesterday, i joined in with him on my Sound of Music CD.
And yesterday was also playing Triple Cross. How timely.

Liked him, especially in The Battle of Britain. Recently saw him in Silent partner, he played creepy surprisingly well in that.
Another one of that generation gone. frown

By:   paulhickling   (Member)

Must a got just ahead of me. Only just heard it myself. Great actor.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 10:38 AM   
 By:   litefoot   (Member)

He did so much, but this will always be my favourite:

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 10:38 AM   

I sang a duet with him while working in my garage only yesterday, i joined in with him on my Sound of Music CD.
And yesterday was also playing Triple Cross. How timely.

Liked him, especially in The Battle of Britain. Recently saw him in Silent partner, he played creepy surprisingly well in that.
Another one of that generation gone. frown

Look, Carson. Just 'cos you never had a curry with Harryhausen..... But I will sing Edelweiss in his honour. Now you're glad I don't do zoom....

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 10:41 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

Was it him singing in that movie? I can't remember.

My mum always liked him.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 10:41 AM   

He did so much, but this will always be my favourite:

Yep. Terrific. Perhaps the two best known Canadian actors sparring really well?

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 10:47 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Who knows, you cant trust anything these days.
I only found out Mark Lester had a woman singing for him.

Ah yes, he was a badass Klingon wasnt he?
And good in Return of Pink Panther.
Versatile for sure.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 10:51 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Saw him recently in Knives Out. He still had it. RIP.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 11:22 AM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

I am heartbroken. He was such a favorite of mine in so many ways. He lived in my state for decades and I often told my daughter that we needed to go linger by some watering hole or diner in Weston to maybe catch a glimpse. My condolences to his family. RIP dear sir.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 11:29 AM   
 By:   Nyborg   (Member)

Just the other night I watched 'The Silent Partner', where he plays a really lowdown criminal, opposite Elliot Gould's mild-mannered bank teller, an unusual role for Plummer, and a real showcase for his talent.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 11:42 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Damn.
Damn.

RIP.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 12:36 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Man, what a delight it was/is watching him and Shatner chewing scenery at each other.
I think I'm going to pop that one in tonight.

Ta'H pagh ta'Hbe.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 1:38 PM   
 By:   TacktheCobbler   (Member)

Nope. Bill Lee dubbed his singing in the film, though there’s a video of the first rendition of Edleweiss using his own singing.

It’s very sad to hear about his passing. In addition to his Captain Von Trapp, he made a very chilling Commodus in The Fall of the Roman Empire.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 1:43 PM   
 By:   Mark R. Y.   (Member)

Speaking of The Return of the Pink Panther, if you watch Plummer's suave performance in that - especially when he's doing his own investigating as to who's impersonating his m.o. - you realize he would have made a great James Bond around that time.

RIP

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 2:29 PM   
 By:   Broughtfan   (Member)

Just the other night I watched 'The Silent Partner', where he plays a really lowdown criminal, opposite Elliot Gould's mild-mannered bank teller, an unusual role for Plummer, and a real showcase for his talent.

Excellent cat and mouse flick, a film I only learned about because of Siskel's and Ebert's PBS movie review show "Sneak Previews." Fine performances from both Christopher Plummer and Elliot Gould.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 3:55 PM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

I felt like he would be with us forever. It was little kid me, sitting in the dark room watching you in the cinema.
What a presence, what a talent. I will miss you Christopher the Great.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 5:32 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

When I heard the news, the first thing that came to mind was not The Sound Of Music or ST:VI but that incredible scene in Central Park during a sudden snow shower when they just let the camera keep rolling in Stage Struck. Caught snippets of the flick later in life on TCM and this was one of them. Was then bowled over after reading about the filming of this scene.

Oh and those other two flicks were a close second.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2021 - 5:36 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)