Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 6, 2021 - 8:31 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Watching Buck Rogers on MeTV I LMAO when over the intercom a voice said, "Captain Christopher Pike report to the Veterans Affairs Office".

I remember in Serenity a bulkhead wall had the registry for the spaceship from Forbidden Planet, "C-57D" painted on it.

Posted:   Mar 6, 2021 - 8:45 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

I guess I'll go for the obvious one:
In the 2nd Predator movie there is a Xenomorph skull on the trophy wall of his ship.

Posted:   Mar 7, 2021 - 3:19 AM   
 By:   Adam B.   (Member)

Just before the shooting starts in the cell block scene in Star Wars the guard asks Luke about Chewbacca... "Where are you taking this...thing?"

Luke responds "Prisoner transfer from cell block 1-1-3-8"

A reference to Lucas' previous film THX-1138

Watch any Joe Dante film and you'll see many in-jokes. Gremlins is chock-full of them.

Posted:   Mar 7, 2021 - 4:16 AM   
 By:   Adventures of Jarre Jarre   (Member)

The shot of the Enterprise in Heavy Metal. I'm surprised that cleared customs to get to home video.

Alex DeLarge perusing an LP store displaying the 2001 soundtrack.

Dave Bowman's Discovery pod in Watto's junkyard. ETs in the Galactic Senate. Jabba's skiff guards' species names (outside of the film): Klaatu, Barada, and Nikto.

Iron Giant proudly bearing a particular "S" sign.

Posted:   Mar 7, 2021 - 7:41 AM   

Just before the shooting starts in the cell block scene in Star Wars the guard asks Luke about Chewbacca... "Where are you taking this...thing?"

Luke responds "Prisoner transfer from cell block 1-1-3-8"

A reference to Lucas' previous film THX-1138

OMG! How did I never pick that up in 45 years?!

Posted:   Mar 7, 2021 - 7:43 AM   

Good ones Jarre Jarre. I remember the Enterprise in Heavy Metal. The audience picked up on the joke to from my recollection.

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few Sci Fi in-jokes in Moonraker. Like the security keypad sounds were the same notes in Close Encounter of a Third Kind.

Posted:   Mar 7, 2021 - 10:06 AM   
 By:   Tango Urilla   (Member)

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few Sci Fi in-jokes in Moonraker. Like the security keypad sounds were the same notes in Close Encounter of a Third Kind.

Also the first three notes of 2001's "Also Sprach Zarathustra"played during the pheasant hunting scene.

Posted:   Mar 8, 2021 - 5:42 AM   
 By:   jackfu   (Member)

Sorry, duplicated Solium's entry about Moonraker

There are several "nods" in Airplane II The Sequel - Props from ST2TWOK, Murdock (Shatner) peers thru the periscope and sees the TOS "Enterprise", etc.

Posted:   Mar 8, 2021 - 6:01 AM   
 By:   litefoot   (Member)

The actors who had played the Doctor in Doctor Who were on one of the screens in a STTNG episode, I believe.

Posted:   Mar 8, 2021 - 7:35 AM   
 By:   1080pScoreman   (Member)

2010 The Year We Make Contact - a Nurse reads a copy of Life Magazine with Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C Clarke on the front cover.

R2-D2 on the underside of the Mothership reveal in CE3K.

Posted:   Mar 8, 2021 - 8:04 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

The actors who had played the Doctor in Doctor Who were on one of the screens in a STTNG episode, I believe.

Oooh. Never knew that. But haven't the CW shows made a few nods to Doctor Who? I seem to remember a few comments about this in particular Legends of Tomorrow. That's besides Arthur Darvill's casting as a time traveller of course, which he was in Doctor Who.

Posted:   Mar 8, 2021 - 9:29 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

You can see the "Firefly" ship Serenity in one of the after prequel Star Wars films (don't recall which, don't feel like looking it up; very likely a Youtube video of it to be found).

Posted:   Mar 11, 2021 - 5:24 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

R2D2 encrusted somewhere on the surface of the Mothership.

Posted:   Mar 11, 2021 - 5:34 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

I guess you can't count anything in READY PLAYER ONE. We'd be here all week.

Posted:   Mar 11, 2021 - 8:19 PM   
 By:   Tango Urilla   (Member)

You've got the Millennium Falcon on top of the police building in Blade Runner.

Posted:   Mar 12, 2021 - 10:08 AM   
 By:   Adm Naismith   (Member)

Doesn't the Millenium Falcon show up in a battle scene of a Kelvin-verse ST movie?

Posted:   Mar 12, 2021 - 10:17 AM   

I just remembered Firefly appeared in Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica. There may have been other Easter Eggs in the series. I'm not sure.