Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 30, 2020 - 3:18 PM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

EDDIE THE EAGLE

I never "got" the whole eddie edwards media obsession at the time. Bigging up the guy who came last seemed like a kind of weird over compensation. He seemed like he was a character but that he wasnt quite all the ticket. However, i started the film thinking i wouldnt last the course but it was well-made and i enjoyed it. There's been plenty of underdog films but this had the right balance of humour.
I now "get" the bravery he showed and what i shouldve felt in 1988.
7 out of 10.

Posted:   Oct 30, 2020 - 5:42 PM   
 By:   Xebec   (Member)

EDDIE THE EAGLE

I never "got" the whole eddie edwards media obsession at the time. Bigging up the guy who came last seemed like a kind of weird over compensation. He seemed like he was a character but that he wasnt quite all the ticket. However, i started the film thinking i wouldnt last the course but it was well-made and i enjoyed it. There's been plenty of underdog films but this had the right balance of humour.
I now "get" the bravery he showed and what i shouldve felt in 1988.
7 out of 10.

It was a fun film. I think Eddie said it was 85% made up though.

Posted:   Oct 30, 2020 - 11:45 PM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

EDDIE THE EAGLE

It was a fun film. I think Eddie said it was 85% made up though.

Clearly its a simplification and exaggeration, the parents are a parody, as are the sporting body (altho probably accurate) and theyve had to chuck in the obligatory key American character to make it sell outside uk - what chances a skijumping superstar is driving snow ploughs and takes him under his wing, really? (Shades of Mr Miyagi growing bonsai trees) lol

Posted:   Oct 31, 2020 - 5:04 AM   
 By:   Damian   (Member)

Firstly, am I in the right thread. Check!

The Fury of Achilles (1962) 9/10 with Gordon Mitchell, Piero Lulli, Mario Petri and Jacques Bergerac( no, not him from Jersey). I have been waiting for years to see this one again. My memories of it were good but picture quality was poor. At last here was an almost perfect wide-screen version in English. Heaven. This I is deffinately one one of the top efforts. Well made, good colour and actions was above par. Even Gordon was more.restrained than usual. It was about the familiar Trojan war story but from a different angle. What I liked was that the film.was that it carried a feeling of doom and destiny along. Achilles new he would die once he'd killed Hector. Hector new he'd die if he faced off big A. Oracles would say same. Also it ended before the wooden horse episode. Achilles new he was invincible apart from one spot. However he didn't know which spot. The film ended, quite poiniantly, the night before his last day, on a nice sunset. Carlo Davina's music was good and memorable and available from all good outlets.
Followed by
Six Bounty Killers for a massacre. 2/10 with Robert Woods and Donal O'Brien. It was shite, I've said too much already.