Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 12, 2021 - 2:03 PM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Should that not be 10 of tuo 2?

Yes probably. I got confused. frown

Posted:   May 12, 2021 - 2:23 PM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

aH aH
lliB dooG yreV (:

Posted:   May 12, 2021 - 3:36 PM   
 By:   Damian   (Member)

The Outcast (1954)6/10 ish
With John Derek, Jim Davis, Slim Pickens and some wimmin.
Derek returns to take his ranch back from Davis, who 'alf inched it years earlier. That's about it. But it was fairly well done, acting and production. Derek had a bit or an Errol Flynn look about him and Pickens was actually slim! The was no pasta harmed during the making of the film. And there was one Mexican in it, called curly.

I was going to write all that backwards but thought bollocks to that, my legs need waxing.wink

Posted:   May 12, 2021 - 3:38 PM   

But how long into the film before curly had a line of dialogue? big grin

Posted:   May 13, 2021 - 12:39 AM   

But how long into the film before curly had a line of dialogue? big grin

Actually quite early on. It was 'donde esta mi burro?'. Only kidding. He was fairly prominent in the cast. He stayed loyal to Derek's character.

Posted:   May 13, 2021 - 9:48 AM   

Hunter Killer

Submarine actioner. More cliches than action. Rogue Russian general kidnaps Russian prime minister in the hope of using his troops and ships to start ww3 but cue a small special forces group on hand to spring the Prime Minister from captivity and Gerard Butler steering his sub thru mined waters to rescue them but never fear as he has a captured Russian sub commander on board who agrees to navigate the mine field and get them in and then...fuck it, 5 out of 10. And no Mexicans uttered a word. And im not even sure the "Russians" were real Russians

Posted:   May 13, 2021 - 12:32 PM   
 By:   Xebec   (Member)

Ratatouille
6.5/10

Posted:   May 14, 2021 - 10:22 AM   

The Sword in the Stone ('63 Disney)
2.5/10

Hondo
6/10

Posted:   May 15, 2021 - 3:39 PM   

Death Line (1972)8/10
With Donald Pleasence, Norman Rossington and Christopher Lee ( a bit of a con, he was only in one scene but was still good)
Copper Donald investigates disappearances on the London underground. Turns out people are living in old parts and have been for about 100 years. Killing people to chow down on. It wasn't a film I was familiar with ( don't remember seeing it before). For early 70s it was quite gruesome with heads hit with shovel and brush through the guts. A decent effort. Pleasence drank more tea than my mum in it!

Posted:   May 15, 2021 - 4:10 PM   
 By:   Spinmeister   (Member)

In the Earth (2021)

From Ben Wheatley of "Kill List" notoriety. Gave this cheapo Covid quickie a try couple weeks back. An incoherent premise with lousy performances. Finally gave up when the axe came out.

2/10

Posted:   May 15, 2021 - 4:11 PM   

Death Line (1972)8/10
With Donald Pleasence, Norman Rossington and Christopher Lee ( a bit of a con, he was only in one scene but was still good)
Copper Donald investigates disappearances on the London underground. Turns out people are living in old parts and have been for about 100 years. Killing people to chow down on. It wasn't a film I was familiar with ( don't remember seeing it before). For early 70s it was quite gruesome with heads hit with shovel and brush through the guts. A decent effort. Pleasence drank more tea than my mum in it!

I found it unusual how sad they made the villain. And how the cops ere obviously inspiration for the cops in American Werewolf.

Posted:   May 15, 2021 - 4:13 PM   

In the Earth (2021)

From Ben Wheatley of "Kill List" notoriety. Gave this cheapo Covid quickie a try couple weeks back. An incoherent premise with lousy performances. Finally gave up when the axe came out.

2/10

That's disappointing to hear. I usually warm up to Wheatley films after a couple of watches, but this one wasn't appealing to me from the start.

Posted:   May 15, 2021 - 4:39 PM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

Sword in the Stone is at least a 7 of 10, those rain drenched scenes, sadness and melancholy, so rare in animation these days, a finely animated interpretation of the legend, with fine songs and score as well. It was a bridge between the old era and the new, and I still love Sword in the Stone, imperfect, non-digital edges and all.

Posted:   May 15, 2021 - 5:01 PM   

Sword in the Stone is at least a 7 of 10, those rain drenched scenes, sadness and melancholy, so rare in animation these days, a finely animated interpretation of the legend, with fine songs and score as well. It was a bridge between the old era and the new, and I still love Sword in the Stone, imperfect, non-digital edges and all.

I liked the animation and character designs. The sketchiness was interesting. The story was terrible for me though, and I didn't like the songs.

Posted:   May 15, 2021 - 5:41 PM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

I liked the animation and character designs. The sketchiness was interesting. The story was terrible for me though, and I didn't like the songs.

I understand my friend.
Thank you.

Posted:   May 15, 2021 - 8:00 PM   

I understand my friend.
Thank you.

Oh, I did notice that the way they drew hands was excellent. For some reason that stuck out. THe backgrounds were good too, with the colouring a bit outside the lines in places (which I think I've seen in some modern animations now).

Posted:   May 15, 2021 - 8:30 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

I understand my friend.
Thank you.

Oh, I did notice that the way they drew hands was excellent. For some reason that stuck out. THe backgrounds were good too, with the colouring a bit outside the lines in places (which I think I've seen in some modern animations now).

1961 thru 1977 were a low point at Disney. Very sketchy and simplistic animation and background art. A lot of character animation was rotoscoped over old animation. Effects animation were minimized. The scores and songs were not as robust. The films were treated like Saturday morning kiddie fare. I suppose they have a storybook appeal to them. But a far cry from what Disney was doing when he was alive. The Jungle Book is solid entertainment and liked Robin Hood and The Rescuers. Of interest Don Bluth borrowed a lot of his the character design esthetics from The Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood.

Posted:   May 16, 2021 - 12:17 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Death Line (1972)8/10

The film got an advertising makeover in the U.S.

Posted:   May 16, 2021 - 12:39 AM   

Yes. It was made out to be more like a zombie film, I think.

Posted:   May 16, 2021 - 1:47 AM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

The Passage (1979) ... 3/10

It's so sad to see such stellar talent wasted by a script which should never have left the writer's imagination, let alone make it to a final draft ...

Some lovely scenery, excellent performances from Anthony Quinn, James Mason and Michael Lonsdale ... despite very little dialogue; and special mention for Malcolm McDowell who acted like the pantomime big bad wolf ...

But their endeavours merely emphasised how weak and uneven the script was. At times we could have been watching a boys-own WWII story ... at other times we were faced with gory exploitation material. Very little was explained (we weren't even told why James Mason's scientist was so important or how it came that he and his American family were in German occupied France, etc.) and the bridge-crossing sequence at the frontier was laughable.

Michael J. Lewis produced some lovely music but I wasn't sure which film it was meant to score. The main title was very bombastic ... the music which scored the scientist's wife leaving the hut in the night was so wrong for the scene it took away any empathy the viewer might have had.
Mitch